Command promt question

fredstek

Baseband Member
Can some one please give me a detailed answer on this question ?

In command mode, if you enter the command PATH <ENTER> you will get an output similar to the one shown below.

PATH = C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS

Research how you would append another entry to the current DOS path variable. Ie I wish to append the directory C:\PATHTEST to the existing path listings, while still maintaining the existing entries. What command must I enter to achieve this?

Note: It is quite safe to enter PATH or PATH /? , however do not enter any other path related commands on your computer.

TYPE the command you would use in the box below,

To append C:\pathtest to my existing DOS path I would enter the command:

how detailed do you want?

I assume you know that path refers to a list of directories where the command prompt will look for programs to run? like in dos when you type copy, that's not really a dos command, that's actually a program that sits in your system32 folder.

well to add new paths to the global variable path you use the following command

path = (to change the path
%path% (to add the existing path that's already there)
; (to separate the directories)
c:\dos (and example of a path that you might add)

put it all together.

path = %path%;C:\dos

so in your case you might see this
c:\>Path

c:\>PATH = C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS

c:\>path = %path%;c:\dos

c:\>path

c:\>PATH = C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;c:\dos

If you go into the System bit on Control Panel, click around until you find a button marked "Environment Variables", that's just a GUI-driven way of doing what root said.

Instead of having to run the command in Command Prompt, you could do it that way. Makes no difference, mind you.

doing it at the command prompt doesn't save it, the system variable GUI way does.

Back
Top Bottom