Server 2003 Vulnerabilities

kniouk

Solid State Member
Hi All

I am experimenting with a home network at the moment. Basically I have 3 machines. The one I have turned into a server and loaded Microsoft Server 2003 onto it. I know this is not nessasary as you can link through XP however I thought I would play with it a bit. The other two machines will have XP or possibly Vista on them (provided I can convince myself I can trust the new launch). All machines are connected through a router which is connected to my broadband line.

So questions I have. Firstly are there any vulnerabilities I need to be wary of with Server 2003? Are there any holes that need closing? I still need to load a firewall onto it, can anyone suggest a good free one I can load onto it, likewise with Antivirus?

Vista, what do you think? Is it worth loading on now? Thought it may be worthwhile as I am redoing all the machines and I have copies of it (originals of course). Has anyone experienced any major problems with it.

Any other thoughts and suggestions would be good to hear.

Thanks
Kniouk

No, I also run a Windows 2003 Server, and have not yet found any holes. Just make sure you update, have a nice firewall, along with regular anti-virus checks, and you will be fine.

As for Vista, I don't really like it.. too .. XP with themes TBH.

Windows 2003 is great with active directory installed though, I love having a server in my house.

Windows 2003 Server is a pretty secure operating system. Follow joxley1990's advice, and make sure you have all the Windows updates. A lot of this also depends on what you are using the server for. Is it going to be your domain controller? DNS server? Or is this just to have a server on your network? Many factors come into play. For example, I'm running two Windows XP Pro machines, with Server 2k3 in a VM session, and I'm going to use it as a domain controller to experiment with group policy, and other items. If you're using it in this type of environment, make sure everything is up to date. I wouldn't recommend using it to browse the Internet- other than that, you should be fine.

No no, rule no#1 in using Servers, never use them for general usage of computers, very bad idea!

Thanks for your answers and advice.

I am simply using the server machine as a server, I am not using it as a general use machine, thats what the other ones are for. I seem to have it set up fine with its own domain etc, and all the machines seem to connect to it with no obvious problems.

To be honest I installed the server, not only to have a server in the house, but also to learn more about it. The best way to learn is to play with, although I best be careful, if I mess up the system again I am sure my missus will kill me :).

Next thing I would like to play with is a VPN. One of my machines is a laptop, and I will need to use it when I go away. I would like to be able to dial into my network and get my documents, connect to my e-mail folder etc. Any advice on a starting point for this?

Cheers
Kniouk

borat_sagdiyev said:
a good vpn program is hamachi

Interesting you sould say that, it was recommended to me by a friend just the other day. I will have a good look at it.

Server 2003 SP1/2 has a built in firewall.

Server 2003 is fairly secure by default, but you do need to enable the firewall .. its disabled.

Its as secure as you care to make it. If you want to apply the highsec templete you can to make it even better.

Server 2003 SP1/2 has a built in firewall.

Server 2003 is fairly secure by default, but you do need to enable the firewall .. its disabled.

Its as secure as you care to make it. If you want to apply the highsec templete you can to make it even better.

It's enabled by default, if you've ever done a server install you'll know the annoying built in security features.

It's not mainly the operating system you worry about for servers, it's how all the services you are running are going to behave.

Server 2003 pre-R2 ... firewall is not enabled by default.
Server 2003 R2 ... firewall is enabled by default.

Back
Top Bottom