Newb guitarist needs some help.

El_Zilcho

Baseband Member
Yeah, I've been playing guitar for a few months and I figure it's time to upgrade. I mostly need to since mine is untterly incapable of hammering on and pulling off, and sounds not-so-great.

These are the three I've been looking at:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pr...ratocaster_electric_guitar?full_sku=103575189
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pr...0rr_rhoads_electric_guitar?full_sku=102559077
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pr...r_standard_electric_guitar?full_sku=103933339

I need one that's under 500, since the folks won't let me get a job. I would like the strat since Fender is a great company, and I like all the options with the pickups and trembolo. However, I'm pretty sure that all of my 5 guitar playing friends are going to get a strat for Christmas, and want something different that none of them will have. Any suggestions? Played any of these guitars? I'm mostly concerned about how the guitar sounds, but any feedback about these is appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: Almost forgot, I play mostly classic rock, and I dislike metal and screamo, so Id appreciate it if anyone has any warnings. Aren't humbuckers the pickups that create the metal sound? Correct me if I'm wrong.

humbuckers are pickups that create a warmer, deeper sound :)

what guitar do you have now?

and i suggest for the type of music you play, to get an epiphone les paul. they cost around 400-500

Personally I would use the VW guitar, it really won't be a huge collector I think, more guitars that are collectors are because of how popular or what they were made out of and how they sound. If you are to get a new guitar, get a strat. It's simple and very easy to learn to play on. Yeah your friends may be getting them but everyone has strats because they sound and perform great.

Jacksons are more of a metalish sound imo, just a heads up for your second choice. Go with sound not look, go to guitar center or some place you can play it before you buy it online.

Yeah, I'll probably end up going to GC in the next week to take a closer look at the strats. Thanks for the advice.

I would skip the fender. The cavities aren't shielded, so they pick up a lot of noise. (one time I was playing, my cell went off and it was on silence, and I got crap loads of feedback) They are nice guitars as far as construction goes, but they have some issues with the wiring (mainly the feedback, there is a lot of noise, there isn't a tone for one of the pickups, ect)

Gibson style guitars on the other hand off poorer quality construction (mainly the headstock breaks more easily), but the electronics are great. They usually come with humbuckers(lol @ spell check...) or P-90s, both offering a more classic, warmer sound. They have higher quality electronics, and they produce little sound.

I would recommend staying away from the later two guitars you mentioned. They are hard to keep on a stand (would need a wall hook), and are harder to play on while learning.

I would get this guitar if I was you: http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pr...l_standard_electric_guitar?full_sku=101822443
the price is good, it is a good brand, and has some pretty good reviews. What I would make sure you do is play a dozen or so guitars in guitar center, and make sure you like how the one you want sounds, looks, and feels. Don't be afraid to shop around, as two guitars made the same way can sound entirely different.

oh, and btw, many classic rock guitarists used humbuckers. its just if you get the pickups with ceramic magnet then you get the metalish sound, but as long as your pickups have alnico magnets, it will sound classic rockish.

eww first act

1. they are from radio shack and walmart
2. they are poorly built and sound like a dying baby

Yeah, I know. The only reason I've kept playing is because I've realized the dying baby sound isn't my fault when I play a strat at my lessons.

On another note, how do you make your own guitar? Sounds like an interesting undertaking...

Back
Top Bottom