External Hard Drives. Suck.

Psyrin

Solid State Member
I recently purchased an external hard drive, the WD Sync, which held 120 GB (supposedly. When I got it, it only gave me 111GB of free space). I put 2 GB of music on it, it told me i had 106GB left. If that's not stupid enough, a week later. OMGZZ!!! where did my files go?? i lost nearly 5 years worth of collected music. I threw the thing back to its seller's face.

I liked that it was pocket sized, so it looked neat and didn't take up much space. I hated its method of functioning, which required me to set up a program with which I could syncronize files to and from the computer.

I want a simple, drag and drop/copy and paste, external hard drive that is small, neat looking, durable, and RELIABLE. Money doesn't matter... too much.

Any ideas?

I recently purchased an external hard drive, the WD Sync, which held 120 GB (supposedly. When I got it, it only gave me 111GB of free space). I put 2 GB of music on it, it told me i had 106GB left. If that's not stupid enough, a week later. OMGZZ!!! where did my files go?? i lost nearly 5 years worth of collected music. I threw the thing back to its seller's face.

I liked that it was pocket sized, so it looked neat and didn't take up much space. I hated its method of functioning, which required me to set up a program with which I could syncronize files to and from the computer.

I want a simple, drag and drop/copy and paste, external hard drive that is small, neat looking, durable, and RELIABLE. Money doesn't matter... too much.

Any ideas?

whay not get your own external hard drive caddy and then your own hard drive , the benefit of this is cost and you get to choose whatever hard drive brand you prefer . you can buikd one on a standard 3.5 desktop hard drive or on a 2.5 laptop hard drive , the hard drive option would be smaller but not as good performance i would suspect ,
here is what i mean if you are confused

har drive :http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(4390)120-GB-Seagate-Barracuda-2MB-Cache-7200rpm.aspx
external enclosure :http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(15949)Octigen-35-Slim-Drive-Enclosure-USB.aspx
you can change to drive to a sata drive and get a sata enclosure as well if you wanted but i just picked that hd cos i was loking at it at the time

I see what you mean. That's actually a very good idea, it would make things a ton simpler. Thanks a lot for the info and for your time :)

yeah, building one is the best route yo go, and btw, it is normal for a 120 GB drive to only be 111 GB, becuase manufactures count one GB as 1,000,000,000 instead of the 1,073,741,824 it really is (so the drive should be about 93% of the size it is sold as)

yeah, building one is the best route yo go, and btw, it is normal for a 120 GB drive to only be 111 GB, becuase manufactures count one GB as 1,000,000,000 instead of the 1,073,741,824 it really is (so the drive should be about 93% of the size it is sold as)
yeah i have one of thoose seagtess from the link and it is only 111gb

I'll bet the reason you lost all your files is because you didn't click on the "safely remove hardware" icon before you unplugged the drive. Always do that in the future.

Back
Top Bottom