IT job and cert. suggestions

johnson636

Beta member
First let me state that I fully understand the fact that certs. alone really don't guarantee much. I'm searching for answers that deal with obtaining the knowledge of the following skills:

SQL Server and Sequel Query Language
Exchange Server
Group Policy
Backup Exec
Symantec Antivirus (Corporate and Enterprise)
Cisco PIX
Sonicwall
Citrix and Terminal Server
Wyse Terminals
GFI Mail Essentials
Solarwinds
Laserjet printers
Tape drives and libraries
Fibre channel and SCSI attached storage
All RAID levels
Cluster Server
Scripting

Is there one course that covers these skills, or am I looking at more than one course. There are a number of jobs in my area that require these skills, so thats why I'm asking about these certain skills.

I love working with and on computers. I've built at least 5 pc's from the ground up. I often find myself troubleshooting and upgrading my family's and friend's pc's as a hobby, but know I want to get paid for my services. I've created small home networks that consisted of 4 pcs and two printers. I'd like to dabble into a larger scale of networking that didn't deal with cisco routers. I pickup and learn computer related skills and knowledge fairly quickly.

I'm looking for a salary range of 35K-50Kusd; I understand salary varies from company to company, but I'd just like to give you some insight as to what I'm after.

Can you guys give me some suggestions (as far as obtaining certain certs), based on the content of this thread?

There isnt a single course that covers all of them. Your gonna have to do MS certs for SQL etc (basically everything microsoft). Info here.
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/default.mspx
Cisco stuff will come with cisco certs (obviously:)) Info here
http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le11/learning_certification_resources_home.html
Hardware stuff like laserjets etc, are covered in CompTIA A+, but its the basics. Info here
www.comptia.org

Software like symantec etc arent covered by any certifications as far as i know. If you wanna learn about them, then read the manuals.

it may be worth your while starting a little lower like the A+ N+ and maybe the CCNA courses first as these will give you your engineering status i took thses a few years ago now but it costs around £2500 but if you enjoy computers you will enjoy these courses.

Well, it seems that plan "A" of receiving my MCSA cert. has gone up in flames. I had decided to sign up at New Horizon and I was counting on the WIA program to provide me with financial assistance needed to enroll in all the required classes for the MCSA cert. Found out from a WIA representative that they no longer offer assistance for any of the microsoft certs. due to the lack of completion from the enrolled participants :slap:

Now I'm at a lost as what options I have now. What are the better online services that offer the MCSA training along with virtual labs? Has anyone here been able to recieve there MCSA or any of the microsoft certs from online training?

Man this has set me back.

Well, it seems that plan "A" of receiving my MCSA cert. has gone up in flames. I had decided to sign up at New Horizon and I was counting on the WIA program to provide me with financial assistance needed to enroll in all the required classes for the MCSA cert. Found out from a WIA representative that they no longer offer assistance for any of the microsoft certs. due to the lack of completion from the enrolled participants :slap:

Now I'm at a lost as what options I have now. What are the better online services that offer the MCSA training along with virtual labs? Has anyone here been able to recieve there MCSA or any of the microsoft certs from online training?

Man this has set me back.
Im studying MCSA, but i do it the old fashioned way with books. I dont know anyone who has done online study.:)

Im studying MCSA, but i do it the old fashioned way with books. I dont know anyone who has done online study.:)

So are you enrolled in a course or are you studying material at home? What do you do about lab time? Whether material is from books or online, I'd have problems learning something if I could not experience hands on training in order to fully understand how things really work.

So are you enrolled in a course or are you studying material at home? What do you do about lab time? Whether material is from books or online, I'd have problems learning something if I could not experience hands on training in order to fully understand how things really work.
I study at home mate, ive got a lab setup at home. If you cant afford a lab setup, then use VMware or virtualPC(free from microsoft). This allows you to setup a virtual lab.

Would you mind any questions I may have with setting up a virtual lab using VMware; I've never set on up.

Back
Top Bottom