Looking for suggestions on a hdd

Raytheon

Baseband Member
Looking for suggestions on a hard drive
I'm looking for a hard drive that works well being partitioned.

What I want to do is make 4 or 5+ partitions on it for some operating systems. Possibly suse linux, ubutu linux, vista, server 2003, sun solaris 10.

I've been looking at the Seagate 500GB, but not sure if it will last long with this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148136

Or maybe 2 250GB would be better? Maybe not because of loudness and heat?
Ps: I'll keep using the one in my sig only for XP.

Thanks

link doesn't work. But I'd recommend either seagate or hitachi. And 500gb sounds good for your needs.

I'm getting that exact drive for my new build, the link doesn't work but I'm assuming it's the barracuda 7200.10 with perpendicular recording. I hear it's very fast.

It should be just fine, any hard drive partitions well. All you need to decide is how much space you want, and 500gb is plenty, so I'd say go for it.

Alright, thanks guys, I was just not sure because my professor told me he would only recommend SCSI drives for partitioning and putting so many os's on it, but those drives are so expensive :eek:

Also fixed the link :D

Edit: what kind of tool would I need to handle the booting for the os's?

Raytheon said:
Alright, thanks guys, I was just not sure because my professor told me he would only recommend SCSI drives for partitioning and putting so many os's on it, but those drives are so expensive :eek:

Also fixed the link :D
Then yep, thats the hard drive I'm getting.

Don't listen to your professor about the scsi drives because it's just not true.

Raytheon said:
what kind of tool would I need to handle the booting for the os's?
Your OS will do this for you, are they all windows based? Remember to install the oldest OS first and work through to the newest.

I hope your professor isnt a professor in computing, if he is i think he needs to retrain again, his SCSI advice is crap lol.

pretty sure grub bootloader can handle all of those operating systems. It installs at least with ubuntu and suse.

Just went over your post again. I notice you have linux, windows and sun OSes. I personally have never tried sun so im not sure what the best order to do them in. Good luck with that:)

Can anyone help with how to set the booting? If it were only the linux and windows, in which order would it work out?

Back
Top Bottom