how to get into DOS?

Fisher

Fully Optimized
ok back in the bad ol' days of windows 3.1, 95 etc to get into DOS was right in front of you. now with windows xp professional i have no idea. so how do you do it?

Youre probably wondering why i would want to? well i want to install ubuntu on a second partition for a dual boot with my windows xp. ive downloaded the image and burnt it to cd to find out that my dodgy cd drive has completely dodged up and just wont work now. ive been looking for a new one on ebay but have only found a few. (samung x30 laptop, if anyone knows of one going cheap then give me a pm(UK only)) anyway so i decided to try and use my usb removable storage to install off. i used powerISO to copy the files onto it and then my next step was to see if bios could change the boot priority for the removable storage and hopefully it start to install linux of that. but no luck so i was wondering if i could get into DOS and type something like F:\start.exe which appears to be the auto cd thing. i dunno has anyone got any ideas to make it install ubuntu?

have you got a floppy drive in your pc? you could create a bootdisk and use that to get to dos

hmmm im out of ideas then lol. im sure theres other ways to get into dos i just cant remember :(

edit: keep holding f8 when booting up your pc!

Have you tried using the command prompt? Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.

Try booting to recovery console, that might work. It's kind of like going into safe mode, just choose recovery console instead.

freestyler105 said:
Try booting to recovery console, that might work. It's kind of like going into safe mode, just choose recovery console instead.
i was thinking that. hmmm could work. turns out the f8 thing doesnt work after all :(

if you don't have a cd drive or a floppy drive its gonna be difficult to get into dos, dos has been gone and the one in xp is the windows command line (looks like dos but its not). why do you need to get into dos anyway?? you could always try putting the linux install on a flash and hope your computer boots from a usb device......

Since WIN2k, Window's doesnt run of dos! There is "No such thing" and more, (i'm pretty sure, at least). The closest thing to it is Command Prompt :'(

Back
Top Bottom