What to add to Java Word-processor

Celegorm

Site Team
Staff member
Well, as a school project i'm making a java application that is a word processor. I hope to make it something as universal as textpad to open any kinda textfile (dat, txt etc). It currently has basic font options like color, sizes (pre-set, and custom), a few fonts, and basic formatting options like bold and underline.

My question is what can i add to this? i'm working on getting word-wrapping to work. It should only be a line or two of code, but we shall see. I have a college friend who is doing a spell checker, so we plan on integrating when we are both done. I've thought about printing, but that might still be a little out of my leage. Any other suggestions for me? Please keep in mind that i'm not the greatest in Java so nothing too complex for now please.

To make it really usefull, you could implement mail merging, and maybe even a voice recognition compoenent. Office 2007, I hear has voice recognition that isn't all that bad. Java has a few interfaces and classes that should allow for that sort of input, of course buffering the audio stream and translating it to plain text might prove to be a bit difficult, but it would be fun to do. :)

adding images wouldn't be too hard, the question turns to how to use them. Voice recognition would be way out of my leage at this point, but when i get more skilled, that would be a great thing to look into.

could you explain what you mean by mail-merging?

Dude - Wouldnt that take month's of coding? I mean, Voice Recognition software can cost hundreds of pounds to buy! And they employ team's of coders!

yeah, it would take a while, but part of the reason it normally costs so much is that they do have teams of coders. Unfortuatly i won't get paid for taht program.

I mean like almost do kinda like word where you can move them where ever you want, or just allow users to copy and paste pictures into the text area?

I think you should keep it simple. Make it powerful before you make it flashy. Include utilities, not bells and whistles, like a java compiler, syntax highlighting. Maybe add images for icon's.

Back
Top Bottom