Vista... to be or not to be?

PuNkY

In Runtime
Okay, well I have a Vista DVD. I'm really thinking of upgrading but theres something stopping me in the back of my mind. I really wanna know, is it really worth upgrading to Vista at this point or should I wait? I know eventually Microsoft is going to stop updating XP and thats when I'm definitely going to upgrade.

yea go for it just backup what u have just in case you wanna go back :). dont expect nero to run though :p

WOW borat, i never thought id hear you recommending vista, you hate it dont ya, or have you switched to the dark side lol:)

You have got a while before MS stop updating XP. As for the vista upgrade, i would suggest you goto MS website and download the vista upgrade advisor. Run that on your system and it will let you know any potential problems.

Maybe even consider dual booting it with your XP system. Then you can see how it will run, if you dont like it you can easily remove it then.

I'm not sure about versions other than Home Premium, but you will need 1 GB ram. My parents bought a PC with Vista (but already returned it) and it was really slow, even with an Athlon X2. Can't remember which one though. But there was a lot of hard drive activity.

I just upgraded to vista last week. It took me about 8hrs to get everything stable and working right. My biggest problem was finding a working dial up modem. After I got one that would detect and work I downloaded the updates and was good to go. I went with the 64bit version so I new I'd have some problems. In case your unlucky like me and high speed internet isn't available I went with a Trendnet TFM-PCIV92A modem. Vista picked it up right away!

Really the biggest problem with vista are the drivers. Before you upgrade check out all you hardware and make sure they have a working vista build driver. You can download the vista upgrade advisor and it should help out some but be prepared for other issue's to pop up that it doesn't detect.

Also do you have the retail edition or the upgrade version? If you have the upgrade version be prepared to surrender your XP license! You don't have to check out this site if you do have a upgrade version.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932

Right now I'm still running a dualboot setup although I'm now running vista as my primary. If you have 2 HD's I suggest doing a clean install on one and keeping XP on the other for a month or so. I'll probally format my other drive in a few weeks and use it for media storage but I just want to make sure i'm not going to run into a problem for a few more weeks.

borat_sagdiyev said:
yea go for it just backup what u have just in case you wanna go back :). dont expect nero to run though :p

nero has a link where if you have a lagit version (and product key) already, you can download a trial. Upon entering the product key into the trial, you get whatever version of nero that key was for. We do it all the time at work.

well i have vista ultimate, and ehh it works pretty well, although no aero for me. drivers work fine though

If you have a strong enough computer, you should be able to run Aero, your build seems like it should be able to to. Also Vista (I feel) makes XP look like crap. I would really recommend Vista to anyone. Had it since the day it was released.

the reason aero doesnt work is my graphics card.

but i dont see why MS made such steep requirements for the 3d aero interface

its not sooooo advanced

u must have a pritty bad graphics card if u cant run aero
just go but a cheep 25 dolor card 5500 fx could run aero fine

Back
Top Bottom