Good\Bad News

setishock said:
AMD has no onchip thermal protection as you found out. It will run untill it fries itself.
yeah i have heard that , oh well my trust old athlon xp still runs good

lhuser said:
Man, that sucks. You should have double checked though. What you could do is to buy a CPU instead.
yeah i would do that , i see athlon xp's like 1800-2400 go for about £15 which roughly about $32 i think
Kage said:
Hehe, I have, or should I say, used to have a PC running on an Athlon Thunderbird 1.2 too.
Nice fast system to tell the truth... never caused me much trouble.
I still have a 1.1ghz thunderbird system running xp here she runs like a dream
i also got an xp2000+ that runs like a dream lil bit hot at times but i am fixing that as we speak , i am even told she can handle vista pretty well if given enough ram and a good vid card which i havent go t money for at the mo

Aw man that sucks! Bet u felt sick when u did it. Last week i broke my new 22inch widescreen monitor!! felt like throwing up and dying lol, got a new one now phew but was scary ;)

Anubis1980 said:
Aw man that sucks! Bet u felt sick when u did it. Last week i broke my new 22inch widescreen monitor!! felt like throwing up and dying lol, got a new one now phew but was scary ;)
i remmeber when i dropped my old laptop and it would power on but no image on the screen ,luckily it was a loose connection but it sscared the sh*t out of me , now i have a new lappy and i am carefull as hell

David Lindon said:
You put some ice on it? which would then melt :)
i first put in in a bag but the faster the core cools down the better chance of it living even if it goes above the max temp for a while

setishock said:
AMD has no onchip thermal protection as you found out. It will run untill it fries itself.

I'm not so sure about this. I had an old Athlon 1.4 Ghz that I was taking apart. I managed to bump the power button on something while the heatsink was off and it turned on for about 1/2 a second then shut off. Still works fine to this day.

cabbspapp said:
I'm not so sure about this. I had an old Athlon 1.4 Ghz that I was taking apart. I managed to bump the power button on something while the heatsink was off and it turned on for about 1/2 a second then shut off. Still works fine to this day.
that could have been the motherboards thermal monitoring turning it off , i know my old amd duron motherboard used to power the computer down if either a the processor got over a set value or if there was no cpufan present , you could change theese settings in the bios

i have a really crappy asus motherboard that was made only for HP computer's. also all my temp readouts where dead. quite frankly i dont care anymore as im ordering new parts and that pc wouldnt sell for much as i dont have a case to put it in anymore. It will be my first custom PC :D

oh yeah always be nice to your parents they loaned me 130$ just so i could buy the stuff :D im SOO lucky my parents are COOL!!!

Thats good, do u have the pc yet? im interested to know how the Brisbane performs, and do u plan on overclocking it a lot?

setishock said:

do amd's have thermal probes on them at least? im getting a new amd mobo and processor this week, just wondering...

David Lindon said:
You put some ice on it? which would then melt :)
Aw yeah, liquid cooling son!

Anyway, it's nice of your parents to lend you some dough. You can surely fix the problem with that.

Back
Top Bottom