What happened ..

Jon F said:
Upgrades are needed to prevent further security risks. You don't think I like upgrading databases or forum software do you? I don't think developers like spending hours patching up software either, but it's all essential that software especially used by the public is updated constantly to prevent any further problems.

You should expect problems when you try to upgrade the old with the new.
Totally agree wih this, its no different to critical updates for windows etc, if they werent needed they wouldnt be made in the first place.:)

Jon F said:
Upgrades are needed to prevent further security risks. You don't think I like upgrading databases or forum software do you? I don't think developers like spending hours patching up software either, but it's all essential that software especially used by the public is updated constantly to prevent any further problems.

You should expect problems when you try to upgrade the old with the new.
:( Oh, so your'e going against what David says then, he has a tough time of it, this isn't the only site he runs, he has two others.

Brookfield said:
With respect, may I say this then.

[1] Is it absolutely essential that regular upgrades take place, is it in the CF contract?

[2] If it is, can you please post advance warnings in all areas, 24 or 36 hours in advance, this will cover most time zones.

[3] What is the set frequency of these upgrades?.

All day yesterday, I tried to access the dozens of queries posted in the social lounge, but when I clicked, there were no posts, just a small gap where they should have been, this has never happened before, so why this time especially, & could this level of disruption happen again?

I understand that it must be difficult to run a site of this size, especially if you are under restraints, but I think you owe it to all of us to explain, I hope this doesn't make me sound rebellious, I'm just one of the great CF community trying to find some answers, thanks.

This is a forum, no need to get so stressed over things!!!! :p

Brookfield said:
:( Oh, so your'e going against what David says then, he has a tough time of it, this isn't the only site he runs, he has two others.
no he is saying the updates are needed to make the site run beter and more secure etc
, wouldnt it be just better if the whole site went offline when we update

It wouldnt bother me if they went offline while they updated, thats what most sites do anyway. All that needs done is an anouncement a week or so in advance, so that people know about it.

When the site when down yesteraday, that wasn't a planned upgrade - I would provide warning. It was a crash which shouldn't have happened.

David Lindon said:
When the site when down yesteraday, that wasn't a planned upgrade - I would provide warning. It was a crash which shouldn't have happened.
oh so that wasnt meant to happen twas a databse crash or something

David Lindon said:
Thank you :D , that explains it all, I just couldn't see how it could have been normal. lol
good.gif

Back
Top Bottom