Windows Repair Problem..

Nope, good idea. I was just reading Microsoft Support and found some stuff about it hanging sort of like mine. Says probably a hardware problem, I have installed a usb mouse and joystick as well as network card from the time I last did a repair so I'll try taking those out.

there is one other thing to try, try wiping your cd with a cloth then see if it installs quicker after that, i had a simular prolem to you a few years go with it sticking at about the same time so i wiped the cd and it fixted it

I tried that just a quick on my shirt lol, didn't do anything I'll try with cloth after I finish trying last good config.

Last good config made no dif, neither did wiping it with a cloth. Though the disc is scratched a fair bit, there's 1 small nic thats noticable. I'll copy the contents to another disc see if that makes a dif. After that I'll remove my network card and try again. Pray something works. XD Thanks for help btw blackjack. :D
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Baaaaaaaaaah, taking out network card didn't make a difference... I'll try repair with the new cd.. /rage
Starting to get annoyed now lol. I done everything I can possibly think of.. there are two causes that I can think of:
1. Something wrong with HD (CHKDSK gives error found everytime)
2. I had a boot skin and logon skin with Stardock, this could stop something showing because before when I did updates I couldn't see what it was updating I just saw my custom logon with no text.

Also as it looking like I'm going to have to reformat, are there any disadvantages of getting a internal HDD then putting it into an enclosure over a ready-made external HDD?

Seems you may have gotten something that changed something in your bios making your computer freeze or reboot during install. I would start all over from scratch. Wipe off your install cd's very carefully, and do not use alcohol.

now unplug your computer power cord and do the following :

make sure that all connections are snug..power supply/ Ide cables / ram sticks / monitor cable / ect. now look inside your computer and find the cmos battery. it will look like this.

cmos_battery.jpg

now take that out and leave it out for about five minutes or so. now after that put it back in. close up the computer and plug back in the power cord. then put the windows xp cd in and let it boot from it.

when the option comes up do a fresh install, if it tells you that there is a version of XP on the hd already on a partition, delete the partition and make a new one, if you don't know how to make a new partition just let the cd do it for you when you install Windows.

here is a link to Microsoft on how to use the Fdisk option :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255867/

Installing or upgrading windows :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941

I can install windows fine on another partition I created to test it. But the thing is I don't want to have to re-install everything.. Thanks anyway.
A couple of searches on google and I found someone who had same problem and found solution. Trying that now, it 11:15pm being at it since 7am though I just been waiting around for installing and chkdsk half the time... X.x If it works I'll reward by self with an hour of gaming then I can get some sleep.
Well I got somewhere, using a slipstreamed Windows XP install disk with SP2 I now get the setup thing when I start computer, but it gets a tiny bit into install devices and just reboots.. I'll try removing all non-necessary devices see if that helps.
It's gone back to just a blank screen this time it only shows it for a few seconds then it reboots.. X.x

Anyone got anymore ideas? I actually got a error msg! But it came up to fast for me to read, rebooted and tried to take a photo of it but I was too slow lol. Now it's stopped showing it again.. ><
Haha, took a video of it, really shiny but should be able to make out something. XD
This is what I can make out from error:
'Something' Manager inisliazation faild because of the following error: The 'something' 'something'. Click okay to sjhutdown and reboot into safe mode.
Missed out the most important bits lol, it stopped doing it now though.. ><
Well, I'm out of ideas and getting ****ed off quickly. :) On Tuesday I'll go buy another HDD and do a fresh install if no-one found a solution. Thanks to everyone that helped. ;) Seems sort of fitting to do this as it is easter. :p

If you can post the error it would help alot. Can you boot into safemode? If you can then maybe try using system restore in there. Also wondering what where you doing before this problem started?

I can't boot in any of the other modes in the f8 menu. I was having some problems before just little things and I had been informed that a program that I used might have had a virus on it. So I thought a repair would be a good thing to do. Supposeldy the virus embedded it's self in svchost.exe. I tried reboot first time with Windows XP Pro SP1 disc, got to the installing devices part and then it crashed gave the bsod and rebooted. I'm going to leave the HDD untouched incase someone has a solution. The actual error message only comes up sometimes, after I try something different I think but I don't know. Still have tommorow for any solutions then probably take me a day to get a new Windows XP install to what I like so any help between now and Tuesday is very much appreiciated. I'll try anything at this point. :) (Apart from re-format).
For clarity the exact problem is:
I boot up - Windows loading screen comes up - 'Setup restarting...' comes up - Blank screen with just cursor comes up - Reboots (Sometimes I get an error msg when it reboots, too fast to read though).

If you tap the pause break key before the blue screen goes off you should be to get the error, its the only way we can properly help.

Back
Top Bottom