New Mobo, starts and reboots?

Quake111

Baseband Member
I just got a new motherboard and now it will start up and go to the screen where windows is loading [I have WinXPhome] and then it will restart. It will do this constantly, checked all wires in comp etc. Why is it doing this?

Thanks, Quake111

Did you reinstall windows with your new MB, or are you trying to boot off your old/exsisting HD?

I think it may have to do with that fact that you didn't uninstall the drivers for the old motherboard before you replaced it. What I would do is run a live cd of linux, and back up all your data, then reformat, and install windows again.

Do i have to reformat it or sumthing >:-[ cuz i really dont want to, it goes to the windows screen with the lil blue cubes going across the rectangle and then restarts ...

Yea, you can't just swap out motherboards before doing a little prep on your operating system or you will run into conflicts as you are currently having.

If you have your XP Home install CD, you can do a repair install that will leave all your files and apps intact. You'll only need to reinstall drivers and Windows updates and service packs. Follow this and you'll be back in business: XP Repair Install. :D

You might be to boot into safe mode, remove the drivers there and then reboot and let it detect the new components, it sometimes works, so its worth a shot.

Back
Top Bottom