loud fan

setishock said:
Ok let's go another route then. First what type of thermal paste are you using and how thick is the layer between the cpu chip and the heatsink?
Next do you have any resource intensive programs running in the background?
What type of case do you have and how many case fans and which way do they blow? If you can toss up a link to the case so we can see it.
Has to be a simple problem to which there is a simple answer.
arctic silver 5
what do u mean by how thick> like how much thermal paste?
well whatever. heres what i did. i wiped off the paste took off the fan washed the hs and put some paste on top of the cpu and just squished it inbetween the hs and the fan.i didnt read the instructions, not sure if it had any but thats what i did by instinct.
right this second theres no fans only the hs fan. it still made noise i had one fan in the back blowing from outside to inside. and i had some cheapo fan blowing into the hs on my video card.

setishock said:
Ok let's go another route then. First what type of thermal paste are you using and how thick is the layer between the cpu chip and the heatsink?
Next do you have any resource intensive programs running in the background?
What type of case do you have and how many case fans and which way do they blow? If you can toss up a link to the case so we can see it.
Has to be a simple problem to which there is a simple answer.
arctic silver 5
what do u mean by how thick> like how much thermal paste?
well whatever. heres what i did. i wiped off the paste took off the fan washed the hs and put some paste on top of the cpu and just squished it inbetween the hs and the fan.i didnt read the instructions, not sure if it had any but thats what i did by instinct.
right this second theres no fans only the hs fan. it still made noise i had one fan in the back blowing from outside to inside. and i had some cheapo fan blowing into the hs on my video card.
and the case, not sure what it is but it looks like one of those cases that come with the computer. its a short tower i have it because i keep my comps on the desk so i cant have really big gaming cases.
the case has a fan in the back, an empty fan slot on the front, and a window on the side that looks like someone cut it with a hacksaw. has a glass taped over it but it seems to have a little ventalation trhough the corners. its like a ghetto door.

This is what you said>
This is my reply>
If you just put a dab of paste on the cpu and didn't spread it around to cover the surface of the cpu and make it evenly thick then this has got to be the problem.
Basicly you have a dab of paste in the center of the cpu chip just conducting a small area. You HAVE to spread it around making sure it's not too thin, not too thick and covering the metal cap of the cpu. Then you set down the heatsink. Give it a slight twisting motion to clear out the air and make even contact.
Then fire it up and let it run for 5 to 10 mins then take a temp reading.

Another thing....you took the fan off of your heatsink correct? Since you said you put the heatsink in the dishwasher I'm assuming you took the fan off. Are you sure you installed it correctly back on the heatsink? The fan should be blowing IN towards the heatsink, you might want to check that also.

setishock said:
This is what you said>
This is my reply>
If you just put a dab of paste on the cpu and didn't spread it around to cover the surface of the cpu and make it evenly thick then this has got to be the problem.
Basicly you have a dab of paste in the center of the cpu chip just conducting a small area. You HAVE to spread it around making sure it's not too thin, not too thick and covering the metal cap of the cpu. Then you set down the heatsink. Give it a slight twisting motion to clear out the air and make even contact.
Then fire it up and let it run for 5 to 10 mins then take a temp reading.

i put about the size of a pea and just put it back to gether, took it apart again, and it looked ok, pretty much evenly spread no bubbles in the middle. been running the comp about 4 hours now, played counterstrike source about an hour ago, getting about 75c @ 5341rpm

ok... not sure what just happened but my comp went blue screen on me and restarted all of a sudden my processor is back to normal.. 45c @ 2255rpm

Maybe Windows reset a setting somehow that something had changed?

Is it still okay?

That makes me think of HPs. MY friend, when I resart his PC, the fans goes higher than lowers upon booting. Could it been that the slow down sequence failed or something?

Anyways, I have my fan at 4200ish RPMs, and boy, if I could have 15kRPM 60mm fans in there, I would.

juiceranch said:
i put about the size of a pea and just put it back to gether, took it apart again, and it looked ok, pretty much evenly spread no bubbles in the middle. been running the comp about 4 hours now, played counterstrike source about an hour ago, getting about 75c @ 5341rpm

The size of a pea? That is way too much. Start over and just use a dab the size of a grain of rice. Use the edge of a card or something stiff like that and spread it evenly over the cpu. Then set the HS back on.

Oh and 75C is 167F. That cpu should have (if AMD) toasted itself long ago. Something is not right.

setishock said:
The size of a pea? That is way too much. Start over and just use a dab the size of a grain of rice. Use the edge of a card or something stiff like that and spread it evenly over the cpu. Then set the HS back on.

Oh and 75C is 167F. That cpu should have (if AMD) toasted itself long ago. Something is not right.
amd sempron 3300+ it did smell like smoke but i just took it out and let it cool.
yeah i used 2 programs and one said 75c and another one that read farenheight said 160 something 167 sounds familiar.
anyway, i threw out the rest of the compund tube. couldnt really think of any use for it and didnt want to have it around. i thikn its fine the way it is its 45C right now been on all day. is a little warm but what can u expect from oem? if its quiet and its not dangerously hot, im fine with it, maybe ill get a copper hs and a blue fan soon.

Back
Top Bottom