Good\Bad News

well as some people know i ordered a thermal fan controller. anyways when i was putting the the cpu thermal probe on i accidently let the wire lift the heatsink up :eek: without knowing i turned on the computer immeadatelily the alarm went off, i thought it was because one of my fan connecters wasnt used so i let my computer go until i smelled something burning so i pulled the plug. i traced the smell to my cpu so i took it out and put some ice on it to cool it down. put it back in, nothing. luckily it was only a 1.2ghz Thunderbird. so whats the good news? i think i can finally convince my parents to lend me some money to buy me a motherboard\cpu\ram. only downside to this is i cant get anything too fancy. i already know what im getting it it isnt anything specail. im getting a 1.9GHZ brisbane a biostar mobo and 1gb corsair(upgrading to 2gb later). then as i make money ill buy the other gig of ram and a video card to go with it but until then ill have to settle for my trusty radeon 9250 :(

that was my day which sucked

Man, that sucks. You should have double checked though. What you could do is to buy a CPU instead.

AMD has no onchip thermal protection as you found out. It will run untill it fries itself.

Lol, whatever you get WILL be better then that. Get a low end processor with a nice motherboard, capable of expanding to a rather nice cpu when funds become available. Stick with the 1gb ram for a while, untill you can upgrade your cpu.

Hehe, I have, or should I say, used to have a PC running on an Athlon Thunderbird 1.2 too.
Nice fast system to tell the truth... never caused me much trouble. Until that is, it decided to just conk out on me for some reason.

Anyway, I took the fan off at one point, and looked at the temps. They steadily rose while idling until it reacheed about 80 degrees C, which is when I placed the fan back on again...QUICKLY!

What is a 1.9GHZ brisbane when its at home? :confused:

@kage
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103036
the Brisbane core just came out in febuary
i only had my computer on for 20 seconds and about 8 seconds in my thermal read out maxed out at 100 C how did you get it to surivive that long?
your right the thunderbirds run very fast for there clock speed
@ lhuser
its not worth the trouble to find an old socket a cpu on ebay
@ArrizX
that brisbane will OC to 3.0 on a artic cooler pro 64 so it will last awhile

Back
Top Bottom