Acquiring IP Address

celticfc

Solid State Member
i have 2 toshiba laptops and a d link wirless router my old laptop contects to the network fine and stays connected but my brand new laptop connects for 30 seconds or 5 mins at a time then says acquiring ip address then same again all the wirless settings seem the same on both laptops????

the new laptop works ok on the network when hard wired its only when its wireless thanks

So, you're trying to connect with both laptops wirelessly right? I hate to ask a dumb question, but how far away are you from the wireless router, and what is the antenna range for your new laptops? If it's a range problem you could buy a range adapter to increase your range, if thats not the problem, it may be something with security restrictions you have configured. It could also be a problem with DHCP.
1.) Do the wireless laptops have built in wireless cards, or do you have pcm/cia adapters for them(cards that plug into the side).
2.) Does the new laptop behave differently if you move closer to the access point(router)?
3.) Did you set any configuration options in the router's control panel, like limits on DHCP leases etc...

both lap tops have built in cards i am 2 feet from the router i also have a linksys router both behave the same the first laptop i have never had any problems with that all i did was enter the wep key in the new laptop i have just disconected the ethernet cable 10 mins ago and the wireless connection is still working????????????? just checked both laptops still conected will test them tonight thanks anyway.

how can i set up static ip i tried and can connect to network but no internet thanks

Do you have a default gateway?
(to check, go to the start menu, click run, type in cmd, then type in ipconfig/all).

i did that and the page came up and am not sure it does not say anything about a gate way??

Back
Top Bottom