is this the right sata drive?

thebigdintx

Daemon Poster
i'm going from a motherboard with only ide connectors to a board with 2 sata connectors. i was considering getting a new sata hard drive instead or reusing my ide one. i haven't used sata connections before,,,the specs for the motherboard say 2 sata 7-pin connectors, and i was looking at hard drives on newegg and it lists them by either sata 3Gb/s or sata 150. how do i know which one to get?

was thinking of this one (it's one of the 3Gb/s ones)... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148144

also, on the back of the drive there is the sata connector, and a power connector,,,i imagine you have to hook up both of these, or do sata drives get the power through the sata connection? just asking because from the diagrams i am looking at it doesn't look like i have a power supply connector which will fit onto the sata drive.

yeah you want the SATA harddrive with the 3.0Gb/s transfer rate. There are two connections on the back: One to connect to your motherboard for data transfer and the other is a power connector. Your motherboard should come with the appropriate cables in order to connect the HDD.

D88 covered most of it. Also, one of the first things that you may notice is the lack of jumpers on back of the sata drive. Makes swapping out, and ghosting things soo much easier. that, and it auto-choses the master/slave simply by what port it is pluged into.

and the performance is amazing compared to IDE. if im not mistaken they are also hot-swapable.

i just found out that my board only supports sata 150, and not sata 2 (3Gb/s) so i don't think i would see much improvement in performance buying a sata 150 drive over the IDE one i have now....will probably just stick with this one,,,one less thing to buy too.

i'd still get a stata drive then tho. because of the slimer cables, airflow is increased drmatically.

SATA is still faster, and you get the added benefits of increased airflow (as mentioned above) and their hot-swappable. Also to add to that is the fact that SATA is more popular now, so its more futureproof for the next system you build.

Back
Top Bottom