Need help deciding on AMD or Intel PC

ok so it is USD i am from the uk we dal in GBP als what shop are you going to be using

and what make is the psu you have at the moment as i would always go for quality makes in a gaming computer as it will be almost as important as any other components

Core 2 Duo. The architecture is the best out there at the moment. That and they're more energy efficient. Although if you're willing to wait till the 45nm Core 2 Duos and Core 2 Quads come out ($300), you will gain an additional 40% increase in performance with the Penryn series. Which in my opinion is a by far better purchase-minded choice. As buying into a Core 2 Extreme right now, would be unwise when 40% faster CPUs are coming out by the end of this year.

IN addition to that, new GPUs are coming out, which will lower the cost of the 8800 series product you are considering to purchase. Budget-wise, wait to buy. Not only for purchase, but so that the money you can save later on can also be used to upgrade to other products, such as faster RAM, or DVD drives or Hard Drives. Any performance gain is always welcomed. :)

Jenox said:
Core 2 Duo. The architecture is the best out there at the moment. That and they're more energy efficient. Although if you're willing to wait till the 45nm Core 2 Duos and Core 2 Quads come out ($300), you will gain an additional 40% increase in performance with the Penryn series. Which in my opinion is a by far better purchase-minded choice. As buying into a Core 2 Extreme right now, would be unwise when 40% faster CPUs are coming out by the end of this year.

IN addition to that, new GPUs are coming out, which will lower the cost of the 8800 series product you are considering to purchase. Budget-wise, wait to buy. Not only for purchase, but so that the money you can save later on can also be used to upgrade to other products, such as faster RAM, or DVD drives or Hard Drives. Any performance gain is always welcomed. :)

No offense or anything I understand your point. But lets say he waits for the new series to come out and the new GPU's. When he finally gets it there is going to be another series of faster CPU's & GPU's comming out in a few months. There is always going to be something better comming out thus lowering whatever is the top of the line now down a little bit.

Buying a custom PC is like buying a new car as soon as you get it home its lost 25% of its value!

Hm, I'm starting to think of waiting a little, to save up some more money and possibly get more bang for my buck in about a month or so.

My only question is, what kind of case (model # and brand please) would I need to house a dual-core or quad-core Processor and its motherboard?

Also, do cooling features come with the cases or are they sold separately?

Thanks!

Since it seems like you have money to burn, check out the Silverstone or Lian Li cases. If you want to go all out, check out Mountain Mods for their U2-UFO cases (www.mountainmods.com) Cooling solutions for processors/video cards are sold separately but the cases will come with fans.

Definately the intel but if you are gonna get core2quad processor u really shud have atleast 4Gb RAM to go with it

ThermalTake Armor Series is food for cases too. All cases will support ATX and MicroATX motherboard platforms other than non-standard cases like HTPC ones. If your willing to wait you might want to wait till AMD introduces there Quad Cores. i hear there going to be much cheaper than the Intel ones. Unless your doing something like rendering things like CAD then a quad core CPU will never hit over 40% usage. I suggest getting a Core 2 Duo E6600 if you plan on gaming but if your REALLY have a lot of money then a quad core will make your system future proof

Back
Top Bottom