SATA Harddrive

PuNkY

In Runtime
I know that you are suppose to install the drivers while installing windows (the F6 thing) but I just installed windows with out them. If I install the drivers 1st will I get better performance? It seems to be working fine, but I'm new to SATA.

Usually, those drivers assure that the windows setup can actually detect your SATA-Drives. But since you could successfully install Windows on it, this means that those drivers might have been loaded by default. IF you have more than one Hard-Drive though, make sure that you installed Windows to the partition you wanted. If you only have 1 Partition or Hard-Drive you should be completely fine.

coolmission said:
Usually, those drivers assure that the windows setup can actually detect your SATA-Drives. But since you could successfully install Windows on it, this means that those drivers might have been loaded by default. IF you have more than one Hard-Drive though, make sure that you installed Windows to the partition you wanted. If you only have 1 Partition or Hard-Drive you should be completely fine.
Thanks, and welcome. I see your new here.

Yup, just to back up what coolmission said (welcome Cool BTW) if windows installed on it, odds are the drivers are in. Really, the only time you need to do the F6 thing is if your doing RAID or have a SCSI drive installed.

Is that custom build the one you just installed on?? either way, it looks nice.

celegorm said:
Really, the only time you need to do the F6 thing is if your doing RAID or have a SCSI drive installed.

I believe XP SP2 disks have SATA drivers available during installation. Pre-SP2 disks required installation of SATA drivers via floppy and F6 just to get XP to recognize the drive. That's been my experience.

celegorm said:
Yup, just to back up what coolmission said (welcome Cool BTW) if windows installed on it, odds are the drivers are in. Really, the only time you need to do the F6 thing is if your doing RAID or have a SCSI drive installed.

Is that custom build the one you just installed on?? either way, it looks nice.
yea it is a custom built. its not the best but A LOT better than my old setup (Dell #1 in sig). Going to upgrade to core2duo soon ;) cant wait.

that stinks i put a comp together but i only have xp sp1 and it wont read the hard drive and i dont have the sata drivers it sucks....but congragulations!!

sek3o1 said:
that stinks i put a comp together but i only have xp sp1 and it wont read the hard drive and i dont have the sata drivers it sucks....but congragulations!!
why don't download a XP SP2 disk and just put your serial number in?

EDIT: i think there is a way to make your own SP2 disk. i dont remember where i saw it.

im not worried ill just but vista this weekend and hope it works if not ill break everything!

Back
Top Bottom