NEED HELP! (PC not turning on)

ChilliSauce

Solid State Member
Alright I'm hoping this is a power supply issue, because being that I don't know much about the inside of a PC, installing a new power supply seems like the best problem I could have. I don't know much about PC's so I'm going to try give the best detail I can.

My PC was workin fine for a while, I went to turn it on from the front of the PC one day and it didn't turn on. Gave it a second, tried it again and it worked. Than it gradually started to get worse.

After a while it stopped turning on. I would turn off the I/O switch on the back...let it set, than switch it on, THAN go to the front of the PC and hit the power button. That worked. But sometimes I would get the PC to turn on, but I wouldn't hear that BIOS beep that you hear when you turn on a PC. The PC and its fan's would be spinning, the PC would appear to be on. But the screen stayed black because I'm assuming the BIOS wouldn't load. I'd let it set, try again over and over until I would get that BIOS beep and the PC would run.

And also...through all the times that I tried to turn it on, and succesfully did so. It never shut down on me while I was using it. When I got it on, it stayed on. It's when I left it off for too long, thats when I had a problem turning it back on.

I also noticed 2 things...

1.) The LED's on my keyboard light up every time I turn on the I/O switch in the back. Wich means my Keyboard is gettin some juice from my PC.

2.) I noticed noise coming from my PC whenever I would turn on the I/O switch in the back. it sounded like flickering at first. But I think its a little flicker of electricity or somthing and I think it's coming from my Power Supply that is on the upper half of my tower.

it sounds like this..

"zzzt...zzzt....zzzt..zzzt...zzzt"

Sounded like it was trying to jump start or somthing.

now heres my present problem.

Lets say I want to try to turn on my PC. I have to wait 30 seconds or so, before I turn on the I/O switch in the back once I switched it off. If I don't let it set long enough, the LED's on my keyboard wont light up, and the "zzzt zzzt zzzt" sound wont happen. So let's say I do that over and over hoping to turn on my PC...after awhile that noise I hear goes from..

"zzzt...zzzt....zzzt..zzzt...zzzt" to "zzzt, zzzt, zzzt, zzzt".

That flicker sound of electricity basically picks up and goes faster. It really sounds like its trying to get a full flush of electricity through it, but eventually the noise will go away after a few minutes and I wont hear anything.

Now how ever many times I do that, I just cant get the PC to turn on anymore. So thats what my problem looks/sounds like. Does anyone know what this could be? :(

ChilliSauce said:
Please help me :(
I don't know if I read correctly. So your saying you computer wont even boot. If not, do you get up to where you can enter the BIOS?

sounds like it could be a failing powersupply. if you have a spare comptuer laying around, try taking the power supply out of that one, and hook it up to your current computer (assuming its compatable) and see if it will power on.

Also, when the case is open, look at the capacitors on the motherboard (they look kinda like tin cans). If these are buldging at either the top/and or sides you have a motherboard that is at the very least starting to fail. normally, the tops of these are flat, as well as the sides.

PuNkY said:
I don't know if I read correctly. So your saying you computer wont even boot. If not, do you get up to where you can enter the BIOS?

no, now my PC wont even turn on at all.

celegorm said:
sounds like it could be a failing powersupply. if you have a spare comptuer laying around, try taking the power supply out of that one, and hook it up to your current computer (assuming its compatable) and see if it will power on.

Also, when the case is open, look at the capacitors on the motherboard (they look kinda like tin cans). If these are buldging at either the top/and or sides you have a motherboard that is at the very least starting to fail. normally, the tops of these are flat, as well as the sides.

So the motherboard could be the problem too? Alright thanks man, I'll look into it

ChilliSauce said:
no, now my PC wont even turn on at all.
Oh okay, then I totally agree with celegorm. Try another PSU. If that dose not work then its definitely a motherboard problem.

a zzzt coming from your PSU is a bad cap or a series of bad caps. It's a replacement that you need.

lhuser said:
a zzzt coming from your PSU is a bad cap or a series of bad caps. It's a replacement that you need.

Im not sure what a cap is, but I can find out. But are you talking about replacement of the cap? Or the whole PSU?

Back
Top Bottom