setting up a server

dickibobboy

In Runtime
Well basically i am having some problems

I posted this on another forum but this is a more computing dedicated one i will copy and paste everything i posted in there aswell.

Right. I have a pc running win server 2003 with the domain 'main'. I have a netgear router which is connected to the server and two other winxp pc's(and a wireless laptop but i am not going to use this yet)

I have joined the the xppro pc's to the domain and have the option to logon to the server. I created a user in Active directory and logged on one of the pro pc. This worked fine but did take a while the first time.. a little faster after that.

The main aim for the server is to create roaming profiles for each user(about 5 users in total)

I created a folder in C: called users and shared it and put full control on all the permissions(it isnt a worry) i could access the folder from \\main\users$ (hidden)

Here are some screen shots
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.859b9794b9.jpg
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.d4d43cb135.jpg
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.bc3edca70b.jpg

i need to enlarge them tommorow

From Active directory i sent into the properties of the user and in profile i entered the path \\main\users$\%username% once apply was clicked the %username% was changed to the logon name

When logging on the other pc's with the account its a 1min wait then i get the message saying that the roaming profile coud not be found and its going to make a local one and nothing will be saved to the server.

I have been pulling my hair out for two days now and it is really annoying me that this isnt working..

I did get it working with one but then it stopped.

What could the problem be?

posts i have made on the other forum said:
Well i did get it working(only tried on one pc through) and all the settings saved in the server when i logged off.. The permissions are allset to shared and everyone can read and write. Then the problem came again. Once creating a couple more users i then couldnt log on and got the error again. I am going to try again with new accounts and folders and do it one by one and see how far i get.

new post

Thanks

I did see that from the ms site and had another good read through.

With the slowness. Once i logged on the pc it took about 5mins but after that 1-.

Still having trouble with my roaming profiles. Im sure there is something really obv that i am missing here.

Here is what i had done.

I have already logged on the pc without roaming profiles with the account named test the logon took 1- min

I didnt use my partition yet just the main one. I created a folder named users and shared it as users$ and set permissions to allow for all users. I could access this folder from the server at \\main\Users$

I created an account with the logon name test in the active directory
In the properties of test and profile i set the profile path to \\main\Users$\%username% (once username had been it it automatically changed it to \\main\Users\test

I then closed AD

I logged on the pc from the account test. The logon seemed to take longer and then i got the message saying your roaming profile could not be located....

I left it and it just logged on with the local and i just logged back off again and its still the same with it not able to find it.

Is there something else i need to do. Its strange that i got it working once but not again, something i am not doing?

Thankyou for reading, I am really getting stressed over this!

Adam

Here's a link for creating a Roaming User Profile in Server 2003 from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324749/

You may want to consider the difference between Roaming User Profiles and Mandatory User Profiles. Here are their differences:

Roaming user profile--A roaming user profile is created by the system administrator and is stored on a server. This profile is available every time you log on to any computer on the network. Changes made to your roaming user profile are updated on the server.

Mandatory user profile--A mandatory user profile is a roaming profile that can be used to specify particular settings for individuals or an entire group of users. Only system administrators can make changes to mandatory user profiles.

Thankyou. I have read that page but i will have another go. Can i ask though which pc do i do this on? Te server completly for everything even logging on with the test account? or the pro pc for everything?

I am on the server now and under computer management there is no users and groups which it states on the site it is normally AD, so is it on the xp pc insted?

If it is the xp pc which i think it is do i logon the pc as administrator or the server as administrator?

You need to go to Active Directory Users and Computers on the server. If you can't find it listed under Start>>Programs>>Administrative Tools, then open up Manage Your Server and you can get to it from there.

You can do all the steps at the server. Once you have success creating and running the user profile, then you can go log on using your pro pc.

anyhelp please. I am really getting annoyed that i cant do this, been trying for days lol. The ms help sites dont give you some information needed like for which pc to use. On the live given it says how to create a roaming user profile in win server 2003 but when you go into pc management it doesnt display local users and groups but does on the windows xp pc but it doesnt tell you which pc to use.

So are you just trying to make a set space for each of the users?

Just map a network drive! In %username% properties, choose the tab profile..

In the "Home Folder" section, choose Connect:, then which ever drive letter, (usually H:) then do..

\\"servername"\sysvol\%username%

Try that.. havent had time to scour all the posts though, so I might not understand what your wanting..

dickibobboy said:
On the live given it says how to create a roaming user profile in win server 2003 but when you go into pc management it doesnt display local users and groups but does on the windows xp pc but it doesnt tell you which pc to use.

Please understand this. You're not looking in the correct place for users and groups when you have Active Directory installed. I told you before to either go to Start>>Administrative Tools>>Active Directory Users and Groups or go into Manage Your Server, NOT Computer Management (like in XP or when AD is not installed on your server). DO NOT right click My Computer icon and select manage and expect to see your users and groups there. It won't be there as you've already said. You need to be looking for ACTIVE DIRECTORY USERS AND GROUPS. Sorry for the caps, but I don't see the option to use bold lettering.

The Manage Your Server Wizard should be pinned in your Start menu ... at the top on the left after you click start. Go into the Manage Your Server Wizard and it should come up with a page that lists all the roles your server has ... Application Server, Terminal Server and whatnot. You should see a link that opens up Active Directory Users and Computers.
If neither of these places has Active Directory Users and Computers listed ... then I'd have to believe you don't have Active Directory installed.

Back
Top Bottom