TV censoring not as good as they use to be

I'm watching "The Riches" right now on FX. Whew, there's a lot of swear words I'm not use to hearing on TV. It does give you a warning before watching like this program is warned for Language, Sex, and Violence. They say a lot of god****, and sh**, whew. There's the occasional f*** in there too. This isn't premium channel like Showtime or HBO. I can understand them having it, but to be on standard cable channel is really something. Even on public network TV, you begin to see a lot of "bitch", "damn", "son of a bitch". I hear a lot of this on the Fox Network. I remember half of those words were banned from public TV. Now, it's trickling in there.

Then there's the txt messaging language. They're filtering into school essays and research papers. In one of my marketing class, a paper was returned back to student with no credit because the instructor caught him use the work, "U" instead of "You" and "lol". Can you believe that? The english language are showing signs of degredation.

In my science paper last year I used "Forum" instead of "Form".

Haha, stupid computer forums.

yeah sensorship standardss are lowering but i have simply adopted the policy of if i dont like what i see i will just flick channels or turn the tv off , i remember when jerry springer the opera was in the uk loads of christians where protesting and i was jeeze if you dont like it nobody is forcing you to go watch it people have personal choice on what to watch , if the dont like it they arent being forced to watch

also jennox good point if video games are being sensored they should also limit what can be shown on tv cos even though they have a water shed under 18's can still get access to the content

Political Correctness is seriously tearing us apart....i think it all boils down to is people are afraid they will offend someone by saying something "racist". i guess there are some people are a just looking to cry "racism" for everything. people don't need to be so sensitive about every little thing.

shoot, when i was a kid in kindergarden the teacher would use a song to help us count that said "one little two little three little indians". being about half native american my self i never cried "racism". i didn't let it bother me....now i'm not saying racism is good. it ain't, if someone discriminates you for a job..healthcare etc because of your race that is wrong. but i don't think people should get so worked up because of simple stuff like Anubis1980 said.

It's all in favour of ethnic minorities as well.

I'm just wondering how long it'll take before I'll get 6 months in jail for saying I'm going to a "Chinese" takeaway because I don't have anything in for dinner. "He said 'Chinese'... OMFG ARREST HIM!".

Similarly... if you interview a white person and an Asian for a job, and the Asian person's got a crap CV and totally not up for the job, who gets it? The Asian because it's always possible that they'll play the racist card if you offer the job to the other person.

It's going overboard in the UK, or at least it certainly was the way I remember it.

The funniest thing is they are starting to ban christmas trees in city centres and stuff yet i have never met a perosn from another religion that is opposed to us putting x mas trees up , it is getting so bad that if i go to a shop and say you got any black paint i will get arrested for racism

actually, in that situation the white guy would get the job, because it's obvious that if someone is more qualified then they should get the job, there is no competition there at all. and it's obvious that the company can prove that the person that they did employ was better qualified.

and most companies aren't actually afraid of that race card anymore, that's just a myth now. there used to be a heavily weighted towards employing people of different races in jobs specifically because of the institutional racism that existed before that.

no-one is going to even think twice if you say that you're going down the Chinese, but you may get either looks or laughs if you say you're headed off down the chinky.

IMO it's good that censorship isn't as good as it used to be, I agree that young people should be shielded from certain words scenes and situations, but it's good that it's getting more lapse and more true to life.

I think video games are more heavily censored because they offer a far more immersing experience that TV does. there is a difference between watching a simulation of someone getting shot in graphic detail, or being the one to pull the trigger in a simulated shooting...

neither TV nor video games are true to life, but video games are interactive.

David Lindon said:
Yeah censorhip standards are lowering, I wonder when you will start to hear the explicit rap songs on the radio aswell
I hear them all the time on the bus. The rap station doesn't censor anymore.

root said:
actually, in that situation the white guy would get the job, because it's obvious that if someone is more qualified then they should get the job, there is no competition there at all. and it's obvious that the company can prove that the person that they did employ was better qualified.

and most companies aren't actually afraid of that race card anymore, that's just a myth now. there used to be a heavily weighted towards employing people of different races in jobs specifically because of the institutional racism that existed before that.

no-one is going to even think twice if you say that you're going down the Chinese, but you may get either looks or laughs if you say you're headed off down the chinky.

IMO it's good that censorship isn't as good as it used to be, I agree that young people should be shielded from certain words scenes and situations, but it's good that it's getting more lapse and more true to life.

I think video games are more heavily censored because they offer a far more immersing experience that TV does. there is a difference between watching a simulation of someone getting shot in graphic detail, or being the one to pull the trigger in a simulated shooting...

neither TV nor video games are true to life, but video games are interactive.

Yeah, I agree.

IMHO, censorship is ridiculous, i mean, they're words!!! for god's sake!
okay, nudity i can understand, but violence swearing come on

swearing
THEY ARE WORDS, i think they should be allowed if not in a hateful manner, because every word is just another phrase for something else e.g. "shit" (only used for example :p) is just another word for solid excrement, so why is that not censored?
violence
seeing violence doesnt encourage violence, it only does that to people who are already mentally disturbed

censorship is bullshit in my opinion :p

boardordi3 said:
IMHO, censorship is ridiculous, i mean, they're words!!! for god's sake!
okay, nudity i can understand, but violence swearing come on

swearing
THEY ARE WORDS, i think they should be allowed if not in a hateful manner, because every word is just another phrase for something else e.g. "shit" (only used for example :p) is just another word for solid excrement, so why is that not censored?
violence
seeing violence doesnt encourage violence, it only does that to people who are already mentally disturbed

censorship is bullshit in my opinion :p

You go ahead and tell a black guy he's a ni**er and see what happens. :rolleyes: For me, half my family is black, I hear all kinds of things, good and bad. I know the affects of saying such words to them, and then when I get words thrown my way for being in a mixed family, although both my parents are biological and white, the black side of my family comes from a long, personal story.

In either case, saying they're just "words" is hardly the point. The point is what the words mean or signify. If you can't see this then please, don't even bother commenting on the issue at hand. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom