Windows Vista, uses way too much RAM!!!

I found it pretty funny that all of dell's new computers come with vista but the more expensive xps's (h2c) come with xp. Haha wonder what that says about vista.

The PC runs fine for the most part. Right now, it's showing that I have 1MB of free RAM, lol. I'm just debating whether to upgrade my old system to 2GB or not. I don't want to get two more 512MB sticks, but upgrade the whole darn RAM and replace it with 2x1GB sticks.

Jk said:
I found it pretty funny that all of dell's new computers come with vista but the more expensive xps's (h2c) come with xp. Haha wonder what that says about vista.
yeah , and on dells site , windows xp pro is an upgrade above vista , i realy think they tried soo hard to make it look good , that they forgot about how much ram people have in thheir computers , i think microsoft thinks everyone has 4gb ram as standard yet i knnonw lots of people that only have 512mb , myself included , personally unless you realy want vista for dx 10 which has no games for it yet anyway i realy wouldnt bother i wouldnt even bother if you have devices like cameras printers or scanners cos it aint gonna happen . cos at the moment vista is prolly gonna make you r computer run worse than under windows xp

MattieDaShark83 said:
For those that have vista I just found a new gadget. Do a search for Multi Meter in the gadgets. Much better than the cpu monitor that comes with vista. Supports dual core systems! Although it does take up about 80 more megs of ram :) lol With all these fun little gadgets maybe I should upgrade to 4gigs.

Sweet!
Nice find!

hi

the way i c it is my xp ran ok with 512 mb RAM but didnt run flawlessly till i had 1 Gb and thats 8 X the recommended minimum so your not gonna be runnin vista flawlessly until you have 8 X the minimum which is 512 Mb so you gonna need 4Gb RAM but for now 2GB should run good but for flawless your gonna need 4Gb

ssc456 said:
hi

the way i c it is my xp ran ok with 512 mb RAM but didnt run flawlessly till i had 1 Gb and thats 8 X the recommended minimum so your not gonna be runnin vista flawlessly until you have 8 X the minimum which is 512 Mb so you gonna need 4Gb RAM but for now 2GB should run good but for flawless your gonna need 4Gb

Now there's logic for ya..........glad you don't build rockets. :p

I have 2GB on the two machines I have Vista installed and they run perfect.........I don't care what people say I really like Vista.
It's much faster to boot and change applications than XP ever was. Haven't had much issues with drivers or program applications either. A quick check on the OEM's website willl turn up Vista drivers for most stuff.
File sharing, printer sharing, and home network setup was a snap.

I'm discovering new awesome tweaks here and there every day I use it.........not to mention the awesome GUI.

Brian_Fenner said:
Now there's logic for ya..........glad you don't build rockets. :p

I have 2GB on the two machines I have Vista installed and they run perfect.........I don't care what people say I really like Vista.
It's much faster to boot and change applications than XP ever was. Haven't had much issues with drivers or program applications either. A quick check on the OEM's website willl turn up Vista drivers for most stuff.
File sharing, printer sharing, and home network setup was a snap.

I'm discovering new awesome tweaks here and there every day I use it.........not to mention the awesome GUI.

Yeah, 2GB of RAM is what you have. :rolleyes: The whole point of this thread is that machines are being sold and marketed with 75% LESS memory then what they should have to run the OS stable and efficiently.

Vista IS a resource hog. Surly with the community all suggesting this then it must be true. :rolleyes: The first time I myself used Vista I got a "Drive incompatibility with hardware, driver must end" or some relevant term. Although, the laptop I was using had a Core 2 Duo, 2GBs of DDR2 RAM, 80GB SATAII hard drive, X1300 mobility Radeon, yet, the hardware is "incompatible". :confused:

Vista never should have been designed at all. That and Microsoft projects it's next OS to be released within 2-4 years. So, happy spending $150-$300 on software that is buggy as hell, incompatible with a ton of software, incredibly demanding, and offers no real performance gains whatsoever.

But hey, if it runs fine for you then hell, I guess the other 95% of us are just wrong eh? :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom