Mapped network drives ask for password every log on..

joxley1990

Golden Master
Ok, so we have these two computers connected to the Windows 2K3 server, with several mapped network drives. Now the server is not running Active Directory, simply a file server.

So, when every user logs on at their computer, and try to connect to their mapped drive, they are asked for the admin username and password for the server.

Is there a way to automatically connect the drives, as it's annoying having to type it in every single time someone logs on!

Thanks alot

EDIT>

Don't worry guys, got it working. I just checked the box that said remember username and password, haha! What a n00b!

I see this thread is a few weeks old, but wanted to reply.

What you've done by "checking" to remember username and password is bypass any security you may have wanted by using administrator and password, and giving "Users" admin privileges to the mapped drives. This may not be such a big deal in this case, but giving admin privs should be carefully guarded. Another option would be to do the following below:

Right click my computer on the server>>manage>>Users and Groups>>add users with passwords exactly as they are on the local machines they log on to. Assuming you dont want to give users admin privs on the server, give them permission to the mapped folders they are mapping to from their local pc's. Reboot both local pc's and server. You may also need to add the server to each local machine's IE trusted sites.

on the server create the username/password that the people login localy with (on the xp pcs) ..

or

install active directoy and login to a domain and not localy.

or

control panel, user accounts, advanced, manage passwords, add server name, username, password.

now you can login without typing

Back
Top Bottom