CPU Fan not working

browserjoe

In Runtime
Alright, what to do?

So I have a C2D (on stock heatsink), it was running at 42C idle, I then found out I had put too much thermal paste on... so I took about half of it off... then... lo and behold being the stock heatsing being a cheap pos some of those little plastick attacher things bent and one of the eight broke off... so when trying to get it back in using force (bending the plastic things by biting them then trying to get it back onto the mobo)... when I finnally do get it back in secure and I plug it in... IT DOSENT WORK!

Also, I have this heatsink:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150082
But it was unable to fit in my case due to the fact that my case only had screws to hold the motherboard in place...

So I wanted to see if the problem was the mobo or just the heatsink by testing to see if the Masscool heatsink worked... AND IT DIDNT

So both heatsinks don't work... I know its something with the motherboard but I have to find out if its the CPU fan plug or the whole motherboard...

Is there any sort of GOOD adapter I can buy/ a CPU fan that plugs directly into the PSU?

PS: EVERYTHING worked perfectly before, and now everything but the CPU fan starts up...

4 pins from your HS fan? I don't believe I've ever seen one like that. Most all fans have three wires. A positive, negative or ground, and a RPM wire.

Well, I'm currently using the C2D stock heatsink which has a blue, green, yellow, and black wire...

I can't use the MassCool one (has the same wires because my case does not have the screws to support it, but my dad is a carpenter, so he will just put those holes in later...

And by 4 pins I mean there is 4 pins on the white motherboard slot that says "CPU_FAN"

Atomic Rooster said:
4 pins from your HS fan? I don't believe I've ever seen one like that. Most all fans have three wires. A positive, negative or ground, and a RPM wire.

some do have 4 pins, these are usually the ones that are very controlled, usually the 3 pins only have 3 speeds, and the 4 pin can adjust itself by rpm, much more precise for a quieter cooler system

bullzi said:
some do have 4 pins, these are usually the ones that are very controlled, usually the 3 pins only have 3 speeds, and the 4 pin can adjust itself by rpm, much more precise for a quieter cooler system

yeah, my stock hsf and ASUS mobo have 4 pin connections for the cpu fan, so they fit perfectly...

Can you take the fan from the Masscool and put it on the stock heatsink? The 3 pin adapter should work, it's just that you wont have any RPM monitoring.

Back
Top Bottom