popping and crackling sounds

sammytheman

In Runtime
Hey fellas I don't know what is going on. My logitech speakers are messed up. 1st off, I have to play around with the base volume on the center channel to get any bass whatsoever. The place where you have the power button, volume, M3D, etc buttons. 2nd if I change the sound volume from the "Center Channel" or whatever its called, I hear this loud popping and crackling sounds. Sometimes its like a lightning storm. I don't know what model my speakers are but I bought them is 2003. They are Z-series, I believe. I looked up logitech but they only show the latest models on their site. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Oh I found the model:

http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=407&cid=6

Does this only happen when hooked up to a pc? cud u try it on something else to rule out the soundcard. U checked the wires, making sure they arent touching the other wires to cause feedback etc. Ermmm lol make sure it isnt next to anything that might cause feedback ie a power point. Kinda out of ideas now ;) Oh u havent had them too loud have u?

Yeah, that electromagnetic interference might be the cause. Set them farther away from the TV, PC case, mini-frig, generators, etc.

MattieDaShark83 said:
Just curious if you have a cell phone in the same room? I know if I leave my razr on in my room it interfers with my speakers creating a popping sound. Sometimes it only lasts a few seconds other times it will beep for a minute or 2.

yes, if you have any new cell phones in or around your room, any activity on those causes interference with speakers, any type of speakers...

If you're doing it from the physical knob, the volume control could be dirty or corroded. You could open the control box and squirt some contact cleaner in the trim pot. Turn the knob as you squirt it in. Let it evaporate before you try them out.
If you're running the volume off the software it could be the drivers or the card. Try the speakers on another system to eliminate then as the cause. Reinstall the card physically as the contacts in the pci slot could be corroded. The act of taking it out and sliding it back in is enough to clean the contacts.

If you've been running speaker without their covers, that's how it gets dustry and corrodes.

setishock said:
If you're doing it from the physical knob, the volume control could be dirty or corroded. You could open the control box and squirt some contact cleaner in the trim pot. Turn the knob as you squirt it in. Let it evaporate before you try them out.
If you're running the volume off the software it could be the drivers or the card. Try the speakers on another system to eliminate then as the cause. Reinstall the card physically as the contacts in the pci slot could be corroded. The act of taking it out and sliding it back in is enough to clean the contacts.

Yes the problem is from the physical knob. No cell phones, no wires touching each other. I just bought the X-540 speakers, and they work great. Same setup and no soundcards, I have it built-in in the motherboard. My father just opened the control knob to do some cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom