Addidng a 2nd Power Supply

Well, i got bored one night so i finally decided to add another PSU to my case. Mostly due to the fact that i have a lot of case accessories and i only have 4 molex :mad: so anyways i decided to write a guide how to because ive seen a lot of people ask how to

Step 1: the first step is to find a place for it i chose this place because it had plenty of room and the the Micro ATX PSU fit pretty snug.

P1010497.jpg

Step 2: this is probably the hardest part is to find the hardest part, finding a way to mount it in there. I first removed the 4 screws holding the fan grill on shown in the picture to follow this step. Then i used 2 of the screws(with the fan grill off) to attach it into the drive bay like it was a hard drive. I had to first bend back the small rails that the drives rest on

Fan grill screws i had to remove

P1010498.jpg

The PSU successfully mounted showing the screws in the circles and the bent rails bent back in the squares.

P1010500.jpg

Step 3: Now that you have the PSU inside of your case you need to rig up a switch to turn the PSU on. What you have to do is find the Mainboard connector on the PSU and cut the Green wire and any black wire on the Mainboard. Make sure you leave enough wire left on the connector so if you want to remove the PSU and use it normally. You must use a toggle switch on to turn on and off the PSU. You cant use a switch that is used in a normal switch that turns on and off a computer. attach the black and green wires you cut earlier and attach them to the prongs\wires that are connected when you turn the switch on. Now when you press the switch down your PSU will turn on.

This will allow you to turn things on when you want like extra fans and drives when you want or it will allow you to add extra power to your computer.

I hope this helped anyone trying to do this :D

Can a mod add this the the guide thing thanks

I did something like that to my doublewide rig. I have the drives and motherboard running off the left side case psu. The cooling fans and temp sensor/speed controller run off the right side case psu. I use the psu kill switch in the right side to just shut off the psu. The left side is triggered by the power switch on the front.
You can splice the green trigger wires together to fire both of them at the same time. The myth of having to ground one of the black psu wires together is just that. A myth. They ground to each other through the case.
Nice job you did.
Now I would suggest adding on to this showing what is powered by the extra psu.

hascet said:
don't you need the fan for cooling?
its a 135 watt PSU that runs my fans\cold cathodes.
i unplugged the fan because it is unnescarry. i bet it isnt giving off more than 20 watts lol but im to lazy to buy power splitters

setishock said:
I did something like that to my doublewide rig. I have the drives and motherboard running off the left side case psu. The cooling fans and temp sensor/speed controller run off the right side case psu. I use the psu kill switch in the right side to just shut off the psu. The left side is triggered by the power switch on the front.
You can splice the green trigger wires together to fire both of them at the same time. The myth of having to ground one of the black psu wires together is just that. A myth. They ground to each other through the case.
Nice job you did.
Now I would suggest adding on to this showing what is powered by the extra psu.
sorry for double posting but im lazy :p

it keeps things simple and i also sometimes like to turn off just things i power with the 2nd PSU

and if you want you could just ground the wire to the metal in the case

If I'd use deal PSUs in the PC, I'd make sure it's at a safer place than just there. Also, I'd make sure it's a good wattage. A case with PSU exists for JUST drives. No mobos. Cheap, and it's a 550W...9 drives.

i have a crappy PC that use to run on JUST that uses about 200 watts and my main PSU is 480 watts

Back
Top Bottom