What process is holding up your PC?

One folding instance - 50%
The other another 48%

Then 1% to some Windows process and another 1% to Xampp.

Bitcomet ;) 3-5% and a download manager for me uses up the most processing power. SVCHOST just uses up loads of damn memory. Mind u when i use this forum, opera uses up about 60mb of ram.

The svchost is probably the most common problem. Why is it so annoying? Well it uses up the entire CPU process!! I did a search on svchost stupid host and why it hogs so much resources:

On Windows XP, 2000 and 2003, svchost is not a virus. On those systems svchost is a required system component. If you happen to successfully delete it, your system will not run. You'll be much worse off than before.

[Important: do not confuse svchost, with scvhost, which has two letters transposed. The presence of scvhost may indicate a virus.]

Svchost, which is short for "service host", is a core part of the operating system that provides support to many of the required services that are Windows. You can see all the copies of svchost and what services they are running by typing "tasklist /svc" in a command window. If you don't have tasklist, or just prefer not to use the command shell, you can use SysInternals Process Explorer instead. On a typical machine one copy of svchost is responsible for 30 separate services, another is hosting 4, and the remaining 3 host one service apiece!!!

What is svchost.exe?
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/057580a1-7002-4f43-9240-a74f42cb05c91033.mspx

It's something we will can't avoid which sucks big time. As a matter of fact, the svchost actually slows down my system!!!!! All I can do is try to disable some of the services, if I can at all.

iexplorer hangs a lot which I also hate. It ties in with explorer.exe. Usually closing an open window will relieve it, but good luck doing that. Most of the time, it will freeze up on you instead unless you're patient to wait 10 minutes for the stupid apps to shut down!!! Windows, still needs a lot of improvement. Visually, it looks great. But the core sucks ballz...

Well, firefox.exe and seamonkey.exe were two big hogs. netscape.exe was worse.

The one ATM holding me is explorer.exe, but IEXPLORE.EXE is the worse.

As of right now, iexplorer hung up on me. Now I'm getting the habit of just opening up Task Manager just to see what's going should my PC ever freeze up.

ISOwner said:
The svchost is probably the most common problem. Why is it so annoying? Well it uses up the entire CPU process!! I did a search on svchost stupid host and why it hogs so much resources:

On Windows XP, 2000 and 2003, svchost is not a virus. On those systems svchost is a required system component. If you happen to successfully delete it, your system will not run. You'll be much worse off than before.

[Important: do not confuse svchost, with scvhost, which has two letters transposed. The presence of scvhost may indicate a virus.]

Svchost, which is short for "service host", is a core part of the operating system that provides support to many of the required services that are Windows. You can see all the copies of svchost and what services they are running by typing "tasklist /svc" in a command window. If you don't have tasklist, or just prefer not to use the command shell, you can use SysInternals Process Explorer instead. On a typical machine one copy of svchost is responsible for 30 separate services, another is hosting 4, and the remaining 3 host one service apiece!!!

What is svchost.exe?
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/057580a1-7002-4f43-9240-a74f42cb05c91033.mspx

It's something we will can't avoid which sucks big time. As a matter of fact, the svchost actually slows down my system!!!!! All I can do is try to disable some of the services, if I can at all.

iexplorer hangs a lot which I also hate. It ties in with explorer.exe. Usually closing an open window will relieve it, but good luck doing that. Most of the time, it will freeze up on you instead unless you're patient to wait 10 minutes for the stupid apps to shut down!!! Windows, still needs a lot of improvement. Visually, it looks great. But the core sucks ballz...

explains it thank you

The only thing I have is the Google Toolbar, that's it. I hate the Google updater too because it forces you to install it while the toolbar is being installed.

For the most part, everything is running fine. My desktop is much better than my laptop. I got a cheap one since my old COmpaq broke down. I paid only $600 for it, not bad, but it's slow to load including the svchost processes and junk like that.

Back
Top Bottom