Computer from scratch?

are the drives getting power?
Step 1 is always to check the hardware, maybe the cables are just not quite snug enough. ;) Had that happen to me more times than I've clogged the upstairs bathroom toilet...

wol-va-rine said:
shouldn't the hdd be set as the primary and the dvd secondary...?

ya your exactly right, but thats if your going to run them both off of only one cable

So,you've made sure that the drive's jumper is set to Master and the DVD drive to Slave/Cable Select (CS)? Drives powered up, everything seems to be good. HAve you made sure you haven't got the wire the wrong way?

bullzi said:
ya your exactly right, but thats if your going to run them both off of only one cable

I always just set up my hdd on the primary IDE controller and my optical drives on the secondary IDE controller, habit I guess ;) ...

is the bios set to recognize larger than 137Gb hdd...? mine wasn't when I got my 160GB Seagate and there was a utility on the Seagate disc that set that up for me, he could put the hdd in another computer as a slave (setting the appropriate jumpers of course), use the hdd disc on the working computer to do what has to be done to prep it, and then put it into the new system...

edit: I absolutely hate CS, CS is da debil...!!! TEH DEBIL I SAY...!!! seems like something always gets screwed up when I try to use CS, I usually put the jumper on the appropriate setting, CS be damned...

wol-va-rine said:
I always just set up my hdd on the primary IDE controller and my optical drives on the secondary IDE controller, habit I guess ;) ...

lol ya, same here, i sometimes have to do this though if im working on a new dell since they use SATA and only have one IDE controller, just wanted to pass that on, figured you guys knew about it :p

So i took my 300 GB SATA and it worked but now i have another problem, the machine wont start.

before windows was on it i unplugged it and pulgged it back in, now that doesnt work, my power doesnt have a switch on it, and according to IBM my Mobo doesnt have a plugin for a switch......so what are my options?

PitfireX said:
So i took my 300 GB SATA and it worked but now i have another problem, the machine wont start.

before windows was on it i unplugged it and pulgged it back in, now that doesnt work, my power doesnt have a switch on it, and according to IBM my Mobo doesnt have a plugin for a switch......so what are my options?

I don't know what you're trying to say here, but have you tried pushing the power button on the front of the case...? there is a power button that has a wire that plugs into the motherboard, right...?

PitfireX said:

SO lets breaks this down
You took your 300 GB Sata and did what?
You unplugged what?
What power doesnt have a switch on it?
Yor mobo doent have a plugin for a switch for what?

Ocelot said:
SO lets breaks this down
You took your 300 GB Sata and did what?
You unplugged what?
What power doesnt have a switch on it?
Yor mobo doent have a plugin for a switch for what?

i took my personal 300 GB and put it into this comp and it started working
i unplugged the system, and pluged it in to turn it on
my PSU doesnt have a switch
my mobo doesnt have a plugin for a switch

Back
Top Bottom