Computer from scratch?

PitfireX

Baseband Member
I need help....ive got an IMB Mobo, new DVD drive, maxtor 300 GB HD, nvida 5700 card, intel pent4.... my problem is startup, i get an IMB screen and BIOS.

I HAD dvd sat as ATA pri and my HD as sec. at that time the HD was only half working (testing it worked but i couldnt detect it) and when i put the HD on pri and the DVD on sec, nothing works?

Just so i have this right, i have to use the disk to install my HD then i can install XP, Right?

Ive got a completely upgraded comp but ive never started from nothing so where do i start?

Everything is put together correctly i think, ive checked it 4 times

go into the bios and make sure that the IDE channels are set to AUTO or your drive you have connected to them

you might want to check the jumpers on the backs of the drives. Make sure the jumper on the HDD is set to Master.

leave BIOS right now, have it set to defualt. and check out the jumpers like Daeva said. Generally, your hard drive should be master, and anything else slave, or master on a different channel.

if you do have the jumpers correct, then give bios settings a try. my best guess for your bios setting is BOTH. if this is what it is currently set to, let us know.

^^normally yes simply by convention. I have yet to see a true problem caused by the hard drive not being on the primary channel, but if his board is picky, it would be a nother option to check.

right now HD is on primary and i checked jumpers, they were on master but i put em to default cable posistion and attempting to detect again

i get...

Attempting PM ATA identify -SN<
< - invalad responce
Attempting PS ATA Identify_

And it sits....and i havnt seen any change

Back
Top Bottom