harddrive trouble!

kyo666

Solid State Member
my old harddrive decided to die on me....so i went to the local electronics shop to get a new one. The guy on the counter assured me it would work, but i found out he had given me the wrong one. Went back...he gave me a adapter (sata to ide) tried that out:

get the error message- primary drive 0 not found

EH? i have no idea whats going on, im running a dell diagnostics at the moment, not sure if it will help.

anyone have any ideas?

another thing PIC

far left, is that a sata power connector? i have it powered by the one on the right, will this matter?

many thanks

Does the drive show up in the BIOS? Have you formatted it?

The connector on the left is SATA power, and it wont matter if you use the standard molex connector on the right instead.

BIOS screen comes up with unknown deice and as for the formatting, it was a brand new drive so im guessing its pre-formatted.

They arent normally formatted new. You can do it with your XP CD if you have one.

kyo666 said:
BIOS screen comes up with unknown deice and as for the formatting, it was a brand new drive so im guessing its pre-formatted.

you have to format yourself, it wouldn't come pre-formatted.

On most modern sata drives is a jumper. It's a sata I/sata II jumper. Look at the paperwork that came with the drive and move the jumper to the sata I position. In the sata I position it makes the data rate 150 compared to the sata II position which will make the data rate 300. Then the system may pick up on it correctly. But like the guys told you, you have to format the drive in order for xp to pick up on it.
Another thing is the convertor requires power to operate. Make sure you have the drive and the convertor powered.

Back
Top Bottom