problems PLEASE HELP

abe330

Solid State Member
UPDATE:

BIG thanks to Raffaz
i checked out my ram sticks and for some reason this computer would read the second stick but would make the computer freeze... so now i only got 1 mem stick in..

ok.. so now i am able to get to bios and change boot config..

and i got the cd in its running
im looking at a blue screen... windows 2000 setup at the top and at the bottom it says (setup is loading files...(pci... scsi... ide... ETC ETC) )
once its done loading the setup files it says setup is starting windows 2000
and freezes right there..

im thinking it may be my install cd but it was find before and i dont see any marks, fingerprints

i dont know what to do...

OG post fixed the prob somewhat:

ok i already searched but couldnt really find what i was looking for..

i got a old gateway computer
which im trying to install windows 2000 in...

when i first turn it on it loads the ram or whatever and stops at about 140-180
i got 2X128 sticks in it.....

first it said the batt was low i guess this was causing the freezing
so i changed it but now when it loads i cant get into the setup config or whatever.. you know when it boots up and it says at the bottom press F1 to setup.. i press it but doesnt come up at all...

what the hell is going on

and it wont boot from the cd drive only straight from the hard drive...
i know i got to change the boot order thing but cant get to it

help please!

Try resetting the BIOS from the jumper on the mobo, normally located near the battery. You also need to change the boot order in BIOS to make it boot from CD.

when it first boots up, press f1, f2, etc. until you find the right one for the bios

Raffaz said:
Try resetting the BIOS from the jumper on the mobo, normally located near the battery. You also need to change the boot order in BIOS to make it boot from CD.

ya, and if you cant find the bios jumper, you can always take out the battery, and keep it out for 10 seconds, and then put it back in, that will reset the bios if you cant find the bios jumper

theres no jumpers next to the batt... thats what i was planing to do but not to sure where the jumpers are...

^^^ which is why i took out the batt and waited ... but still cant get into bios...

on a good note...
i pressed F12 and somehow the computer gave me a boot order screen and was able to start the cd to install win2000

when it turns on and boots up (the load screen appers)
i press F1 and the screen disappers... it doesnt even finish loading and it trys to boot from hard drive after about 2 mins

not sure what the prob is... it read the cd.. blue screen and it said stuff at the bottom then it said (starting Windows 2000 setup) and froze there,,,...

before the stupid comp would freeze up at the load screen now it freezes up maybe 3 mins after start up

Back
Top Bottom