About to change processor

rahxephon1

Baseband Member
Well im going to buy a core 2 duo e6600 2.40ghz and i was wondering what will happen when i change my processor. will i lose everything? how exactly should i change it?

thanks

What? please clarify what your trying to say , you mean LOSE your data or your processor? and what is your current computer your trading this into.

sorry for lack of info was in a rush this morning...

running vista
1gb ram
pend D 2.8
x1300 256mb ati
320gb hard drive

now im going to upgrade my processor to a 2.40 ghz core 2 duo intel processor and i was wondering how to change it....what happens when i switch the parts? do i have to completly reformat? do i simply download some drivers?

i have no idea what to do when it comes to changing a processor its the only thing ive never had to change in my computers

so prety i want a walkthrough i guess of how to do this

Thanks.

no, you won't need to reformat. before you buy the hip tho, i would check make sure your motherboard can handle it. if you just bought the comptuer, it should, but better safe than sorry.

borat_sagdiyev said:
alright can you give me your AIM or MSN and ill walk you through it :)

havent bought it quite yet :D will in about a week is your still willing to walk me through it ill be gratefull. Ill send you my msn as soon i order the chip

oh yeah and my mother board....im not sure but i think its a Intel 945G Express chipset...i have a dell e520

thanks for your posts

rahxephon said:
Well im going to buy a core 2 duo e6600 2.40ghz and i was wondering what will happen when i change my processor. will i lose everything? how exactly should i change it?

thanks

Just changing the processor won't necessisarily mean that you have to reformat your hard-drive and reinstall Windows. However, a significant change, E.G new motherboard, would.

You should be fine. To change it, take the heatsink off, flip the little lever over, take out the CPU, put the new CPU on, pull lever down, put new heatsink on, turn on computer. Pretty simple really.

First, check to see if the motherboard supports it. If you don't know, download Everest Home and look for the board model and tell us here.

Then, if it supports it, all you need to do is to remove the heatsink and fan, open the retention lever, take the CPU out. Then, pop the new one in at the correct position. Insert the new heatsink that came with it. If it has the pad, no need for the paste, although I would recommend it.

Power it up and watch it fly.

Back
Top Bottom