AMD Opteron

ladykiller1

Baseband Member
I did a search for this and came back with about 280 pages. I went through a few but didn't find what I was looking for.

AMDs website says that their Opteron processor is quad core. All the ones that I have found for sale say dual core.

Does anyone know if they are still working on it? Or what the deal is?

Thanks !!!

They're making a Quad-Core Opteron called the Barcelona. The Athlon 64 version is called Agena.

That sucks. :mad:
I don't want to wait that long.
My computer crashed last week and I've been waiting for an excuse to build a new gaming rig.
I was looking at dual core processors and AMD is cheaper and faster than Intel.
I miss playing my video games. :( It's my only out besides drinking. :p
Do you think I should wait for AMDs quad to come out or do you think it'll be $1000 just like the Intel?

Right now, AMD is not faster. In reality, the Core 2 is out-performing anything AMD can toss at it.

as for weather or not you should wait, its really up to you. I'd be hesitant to wait tho because there is not set date for release. For all we know, somethign could happen and delay the release of AMD quad till the end of this year.

Do they find their processors speeds differently?
These numbers are the ones that I've found for sale. Intels dual core was 2.4 or 2.6 GHz and AMDs dual was 2.6 or 2.8 GHz.
If Intel has .2 to .4 Ghz on AMD, is it really worth the price increase?

I looked again...
Intel has a 2.66 GHz Dual Core for $520
AMD has a 2.6 GHz Dual Core for $440
The main difference listed between the two duals is the intel has 4 MB of L2 cache while the AMD has 2MB.

It's not the cache thats making the big performance hit. Its the design of the architechture itself. It does more per clock. An E6600 is outperforming all of AMD's stuff right now.

Back
Top Bottom