Best way to transfer my files from laptop to computer

Fisher

Fully Optimized
What would be the best and fastest way to transfer my files from my laptop tp my computer?

Im getting an external USB hardrive for the laptop but i dont want to have to transfer the files to the hardrive then back to the comp. I was thinking if you can get a USB to USB link, or ethernet to ethernet or I have a new netgear routor with both on wireless USB connections so would i be able to setup a network to transfer files between comps?

yea just connect the desktop and the laptop to the network and send the files across

Forget about the USB. If you can get your home network setup properly, file transfer is much, much faster that way as dude_se suggested. If you can't get that to set up right, then yeah---an external drive is the next best thing. THat's what I'm doing right now.

setishock said:
Crossover cable the two rigs together.

what do you mean by that? im abit of a noob when it comes to networking, never done it before

ok ive setup my laptop with my comp through my routor. they both have wireless connections and they are working great expect that it takes about 30mins to transfer a 700Mb file from one to the other. is that normal?

Well wireless is slower than wired so maybe, ive never transfered files wirelessly so cant really comment more than that. I done a 99Mb file over my wired network earlier, and it took under 10 seconds, so that is slow.:)

Also to answer your question about crossover. Its another way of connecting 2 pcs together without a router. There are 2 types of ethernet cable, they are patch (generally used for routers) and crossover (used when its direct connection). The difference between the two is that they are wired slightly different to allow data to pass to and from each computer.

i usually just burn all my crap to a dvd, unless its less than 700mb, then i just use a cdr

Fisher said:
ok ive setup my laptop with my comp through my routor. they both have wireless connections and they are working great expect that it takes about 30mins to transfer a 700Mb file from one to the other. is that normal?

a bit slow. usually takes me 15 mins max im guessing. it depends on the speed of your wireless card, speed your connected to the network, etc. i wouldnt worry too much, unless its causing problems

Back
Top Bottom