Computer keeps shuttung down

mcconji1

Beta member
I recently replaced the motherboard in my HO Presario 286X with the same MS6930 board.
It starts up fine, then gives "found New Hardware screen, saying it doesn't recognize the monitor and that I need to install "Plug and Play"

It stays on for a number of minutes and then shuts down.

Fans are working properly.

Is this related to the Bios configuration?

Aren't plug and play installed automatically with the motherboard drivers? Try reinstallng that or boot into safe mode to see if it gives you the same error message. In Safe Mode, Windows uses it's native drivers for monitors. Delete your old video drivers and reinstall with a newer version. Those are just somethings you might try.

OK,

I got the monitor enabled, but still shutting down at will with no specific action causing it..........

Ideas are welcomed

if it shuts down the same way in safe mode i would recommend taking the cpu off the mobo, taking the ram off as well.. making sure all screws are on straight re seating the cpu (and grease) and then re seating the ram.. NONE if this will matter if you have a windows problem though..

and if you didn't reinstall windows i really recommend you do so.. even if you are replacing with same mobo (some will tell you different) windows doesn't like that kinds stuff.

If it's a heat issue, make sure the CPU heatsink is seated correctly. Did you clean off the old thermal paste and re-apply new paste when you reinstalled the HSF?

also make sure all overclocking is disabled, sometimes if i go over the top with mine on overclocking it will flash the blue screen for about a half a second and then it will restart, but to me it sounds like an overheating issue as they said, make sure everything is seated properly, i know this has been said, just agreeing with what others said :p

kyle

Check for shorts on the mobo aswell, it could be in contact with the case somewhere. EAsiest way to check this is to run the mobo, outside of the case.

Back
Top Bottom