Computer and PSU

I was wondering if a 240W PSU is strong enough for these specs,

Intel Pentium 3.2GHz 4 with HT
1Gig RAM
320Gigabyte Hard Drive (2x 160Gb)
ATI Radeon 9550 256mb

Thanks in advance

Yea, I guess you could squeak by with that. You would be safer in the 350W range though. Why such a low powered PSU?

Its my bros and thats the way it was when he got it, though it came with an ATI Radeon 9200 not the 9550, about 3 years ago.

The information you gave us was a bit limited, but I managed to doll out around 108 watts! Thats not including optical drives, other pci boards, fans, lights (if you got 'em), etc., etc. I don't know your full set up but you might want to look into something a little heavier! May I suggest a 350 watt?

I use to run my computer system on 250watts. I didn't know they make power supplies that low (240watts!!!). If you're planning on buying a new power supply definitely look into something bigger.

240-250 would be perfect for a p2 or p3 but not for a p4 3ghz. 350 to 450 for that set up to be safe.

That is probably a 5V based system. So on the power supply, how many amps does it allocate to the 5V rails? You can have 350W power supply, but if it allocates most of the wattage to the 12V rails, the computer won't power up.

ownage said:
That is probably a 5V based system. So on the power supply, how many amps does it allocate to the 5V rails? You can have 350W power supply, but if it allocates most of the wattage to the 12V rails, the computer won't power up.

Ok, I have no clue what you just said there. Let's just say that he needs a bigger power supply.

Back
Top Bottom