my network retardery knows no bounds...

wol-va-rine

Fully Optimized
I got my wired network hooked up with a Hawking HW54G wireless router and decided to take the extra step and try to set up a wireless connection using a Trendnet wireless adapter that I saw at CompUSA for $24.99 (with the $25 rebates it will basically be free)...

I am now connected wirelessly with the kids computer (mine is still near the cable modem, so it's still a wired connection), but the security is not there and I have no idea how to set up the WEP/WPA key...

the first three times I set it up it didn't bring up any XP drivers (like it was supposed to for XP), so I had to install the disc, what a mistake, the Trendnet software just kept rebooting the kid's computer every time I tried to connect...

:mad:

the fourth time the XP drivers showed up and it installed, but now I have no security, how do I enable the WEP/WPA key...?

can anyone help...?

type the routers default gateway into your browser window whilst connected to it. its usually something like "192.168.1.2" go to start>run>cmd>then type "ipconfig" to find out. hopefully you will get to your router menu and the settings are in there

Yeah, access the router directly. Mine is 192.168.1.1. Type that into your address bar at the top. You will see an option in the security section to enable WEP/WPA, mac filtering, Internet access times, etc. that you can configure.

Oh, if you have a Linksys router---type admin for the password and leave the user name blank to access the router menu.

im sure linksys is admin as username and admin as password... not that i hacked into someones in the park a few weeks back .... anyway thats the default for a lot of them

I'm logged in to Linksys right now since I have a wireless router manufactured by them. I just left the username blank and key in admin for the password. Got me right in there.

This is ok for people to know because it's a private IP anyways. They can't really hack into your network as long as you have that encryption enabled locally (so people within your immediate area can't use your wireless connection). Imagine some guy across the street using your Internet connection and accessing your router, then enabling the security before you can get a chance. Man, you just got blocked from your own router, lol. If that's possible--I never tried.

personally i like mac adress filtering better than wep keys and stuff like taht. keys can be broken/hacked, but a mac filter cannot be. the only way a computer can connect to the network is if you allow their network device access to your router. anyone who tries to connect wirelessly will not be able to do so, even tho it appears as unsecured.

I have that right now. MAC address is kind of tedious to setup because you need to get the MAC info for all the PC's that will be using your network. Then type it in manually into the router menu. It's effective though.

I know with dlink (which i use) if you turn mac off and connect every computer to the network, you can set up the filtering, and have the router itself fill in the mac address of the device with one simple click of a button.

yes it is kinda tedious when you first start it up, and when adding new computers/chaning devices but in my oppinion its well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom