HELP!! Smiley faces after BIOS Startup!! Then Windows problems!

Atomic Rooster said:
He just did a full format and reinstall of the OS. I don't think cleaning the registry will help at this point. IMO, it is most definitely a hard ware problem.

agree

might be a MBR virus\joke that makes smiles on boot up cause i dont think a format completely reinstalls the MBR. make a boot disk or use the xp cd and go into the command prompt and type in "FIX MBR" then say yes and yadda yadda yadda whatever you have to do, do it to complete it.

To clarify any confusion, this is exactly what I did.

1.) Ultimate Boot Disc
2.) MadBoot v8.0
3.) Symantec Gdisk (delete all partitions)
4.) Restart
5.) Tried to install Windows, but still saw Smileys in between text. Talked with BFG Tech customer support and said they've heard this problem before. They said they will send me detailed instructions for RMA within 1 business day.

Also, in terms of a motherboard virus, I never knew these existed, but I do have Symantec Corporate edition on a nightly update and it seems to be reliable software. I also use "NoScript" for Firefox which disables all Java unless I enable specific sites. Hence, more evidence IMO for a hardware issue. Let me know what you guys think.

It is in my opinion the video card is faulty as I have seen, read, and have had personal experience with the very same issues. The best way to go is to contact the card manufacturer and tell them of the problem. If it's still under warranty they will issue you an RMA to replace the defective video card. :D

I agree with atomic - Its not the HDD because it is booting, he was able to reinstall/formatt etc etc....

and he even mentioned before that he could boot into windows but could not SEE anything...

Its your video card...

At any point before wiping your computer did you try another video card? Or did I miss somewhere up there?

Back
Top Bottom