Why PCs Should Get More Sleep

I have always left my systems running. It's the surge at start up that consumes more power than the rig sitting at idle. Besides it's less of a strain on the hardware to just leave it running.

setishock said:
I have always left my systems running. It's the surge at start up that consumes more power than the rig sitting at idle. Besides it's less of a strain on the hardware to just leave it running.

Get a tester and test how much they surge.

Theirs a brief few second surge, that would use around 250 watts in my computer which typically consumes 200. This is an extra 1/4 second of power.

seeing as how this is going twards global warming i'll add this: I watched a video in chemistry last week (we had a sub) about the magnetic field of the earth shifting. this natural processes is heating up the earth causing a warming. According to the movie, this is heating the earth more than anything else, but im not entirly sure how much of that is the truth.

I do believe its not all us. Its a natural process that occurs every how many thousands of years, what ever we do.

What we do now, won't stop it happening either way anyway!

IF there so bothered about it now (and only now...) then its something they should have thought about a long time ago while making products/power stations. not NOW.

i agree its not all us too..

i mean cummon, there were ice ages.. and now its pretty warm!! that says to me that it goes around in cycles, hot, cold, hot, cold

20 years ago there was a mass panic cause the scientists said that the UK was going into an ice age.. now they are saying that we are warming up too much, and half the country is gonna be underwater.

entertaining as it may be to watch them backpedal, the taxes that the government use to rob us of our money get annoying.

i love how the US is so 'save the planet, reduce CO2 emissions' and yet it refuses to join the koyoto agreement, quite amusing really..

whats the koyoto agreement??

maybe we learned that on a day i fell asleep in school or something, but i've never heard of that before.

Lets all secretly hug trees buy upgrading our computers to vista, which would require major hardware upgrades, which in the production of the hardware, toxins are released into the atmosphere, which kill the tress we are hugging.

I agree with root. I just turn my comp off when it isn't doing anything.

Haha, I thought this was so appropriate for this thread. It's a parody of "Ring of Fire" called "Ball of Fire." Click on it and paste the full URL into Windows Media, or whatever your default player is:
http://mfile.akamai.com/5020/wma/rushlimb.download.akamai.com/5020/New/balloffire.asx

Back on topic: I suppose I would care a little more about power consumption if I was paying the power bill, but I don't pay a lot of attention as to how long my computer stays on as it is. I try to keep it off as much as possible to save my parents money. And I don't care at all about global warming, as me posting that song implies.

Back
Top Bottom