disk read error... advice please

Will1

In Runtime
Hey CF

I was over at my friend's place and he booted up his computer only to get a error message reading "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart".

He has a 3 month old HP desktop computer. We opened the computer up and took a look at the hard drive (to eliminate the most obvious). Everything appeared to be fine and we made sure that the cables were all secure. I am pretty sure he is using Fat32 file system.

As well we ran the HP diagnostic software which claimed that the HD failed the hardware test with an error message " HD521-2W ". So far no luck with the HP website to determine what the error code means exactly.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

this is gonna sound dumb, but is there a floppy in the floppy drive?? lol theres a funny story to this... i was building an old computer for a friend that just needed internet, and after i installed windows i was loading drivers via floppy for chipset, etc. WELL when i rebooted the computer it said disc read error, it took me TWO days to figure out i still had a floppy in there. lol, just a thought to check...

You may have a corrupt master boot record. Do a reformat and run an Fdisk /mbr to delete the master boot record. Backup what you have just in case.

It could also mean that your harddrive may have a bad sector. Try to find some low level formatting tool by going onto Western Digital's site. Maxtor has one called MaxBlast.

ISOwner said:
You may have a corrupt master boot record. Do a reformat and run an Fdisk /mbr to delete the master boot record. Backup what you have just in case.

It could also mean that your harddrive may have a bad sector. Try to find some low level formatting tool by going onto Western Digital's site. Maxtor has one called MaxBlast.

alrite, ill give that a try and thanks alot

lmao and yea i made sure there wasnt any cds or floppys in there, thanks anyways tho!

lol k, sometimes i tend to overlook things when im in a hurry...

but yea do what ISOwner suggested, that sounds like that could fix/diagnose the problem further, hope it works :p

kyle

this hapens to my old pc when theres a disc/floppy in or i have formatted and theres no os on there

ISOwner said:

Bit over the top aint it? He could try FIXBOOT FIXMBR and BOOTCFG /REBUILD commands before he goes as far as formatting the drive.

Also check that there are no floppies, CDs pendrives or external drives connected to USB etc.

And download a diagnostic tool from your HDD manufacturers website and run that.

Back
Top Bottom