just installed linux

QTip05

Solid State Member
ok i got kubuntu linux and just installed it on another partition of my hd. i dont kno a thing about linux except its really advanced. could someone give me some pointers and like links to site where i could learn more? and could someone tell me a good web browser for kubuntu, because the one that came preloaded sux lol and plz explain how to install it too =]

First of All, Kubuntu is using a Desktop Environement engine for all the graphical programs. It's called, in your case, KDE. KDE stands for K Desktop Environement.

Kubuntu runs on RPM file package, that acts like EXEs in Windows, just different. Click on a file and the auto installing tool will install it for you. Linux loves root password, so make sure you actually remember it!

There are several advanced ways to install RPMS, like rpm -ivh, sh.

If you need to install a program and to bypass dependencies, use the -nodeps at the end.

EX: rpm -ivh /home/lhuser/Desktop/yourfile.rpm -nodeps

If you enter that in the Terminal, it will instand without dependency prompting. Next, if you need to change directories, do like Windows: cd.

This is neat though: just type in /ho and press tab. It will auto-complete it for you, but make sure that there are no similar folders. If there is, then add the letters until there's only one folder that has a specific letter.

Using Linux is complicated, but fun once you get to know it. A couple of things to make sure:

Linux doesn't run EXEs, but if you need to, then open the file and type in the search box, wine. It runs the file, but it might not also.
Linux is not capable to run Windows games either.

Linux does run games with programs like Wine and Cedega. Though they rarely work as well as they would with windows.

As for the web browser, I use firefox.

And the last thing, google is your friend. You will find lots of usefull stuff there, and if you can't find something then just post here and we will try to help.

thanx you guys.. you've helped me me out a lot
lhuser you juss like saved me man.. and thanx mammikoura

edit:
what about rat.gz files?

.gz files are zipped files, you need to use a zip package to unzip them.

to unzip use gzip...

the best way to figure out how to use g zip is to go to the console and type man gzip.

iight thanx.. im gonna try it now.

edit

plz explain.. i dont kno anything

lhuser said:
Kubuntu runs on RPM file package

Kubuntu DOES NOT use RPM package management. It is based on Debian and uses Debian's system of apt-get/dpkg and .deb files.

RPM is used by RedHat/Fedora... Red Hat Package Management.

Debian uses .deb and the apt-get install system.

Back
Top Bottom