PS3 on sale!

Yeah, Sony have really blown it this time. Especially since they keep shorting us Europeans. "Oh yes...we won't give them the ability to play all PS2 games by having the Emotion Engine in there...We'll just emulate them"

They are still in stock here, showing how bad the launch in the UK must have gone. I doubt its because they made sure they had enough stock.

Whats pretty kewl I guess though, is that everyone at this one launch that was waiting in line (around 120 people) got given a free £2000 Sony Bravia TV to play the PS3 on:

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/775/775340p1.html

Thats pretty amazing if you ask me. Still... very overpriced for anything really.

Kage said:
Yeah, Sony have really blown it this time. Especially since they keep shorting us Europeans. "Oh yes...we won't give them the ability to play all PS2 games by having the Emotion Engine in there...We'll just emulate them"

They are still in stock here, showing how bad the launch in the UK must have gone. I doubt its because they made sure they had enough stock.

Whats pretty kewl I guess though, is that everyone at this one launch that was waiting in line (around 120 people) got given a free £2000 Sony Bravia TV to play the PS3 on:

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/775/775340p1.html

Thats pretty amazing if you ask me. Still... very overpriced for anything really.

i heard about that. i think thats pretty good of sony to do that. i didnt know only 120 people showed up. thats kind of crap lol

If the ps3 had analogue 5.1 outputs (for dolby trueHD) I'd get one just as a blu ray player! I'll probably end up getting one when gran turismo 5 comes out anyway

I'm guessing theres probably a optical to analogue converter for sound somewhere...

I tried the PS3 properly today. What a load of complete and utter junk. It really is.

It was inside a glass case and I was standing less than 1m away... and it was too warm. The thing gives off too much heat. However, I will admit that it was virtually silent, and the XBOX 360 can get noisy, so that's a good thing on Sony's part.

Controller? Felt quite nice, but light as a feather, only because the vibration motors had been taken out as you all know.

I tried Motorstorm, and it was truly rubbish. Completely piss-poor car physics, your car just blew up completely at random, and it was boring. Completely and utterly boring. SIXAXIS is lame, it is unresponsive and unpredictable and annoying, and only has an angle of 60 degrees. This means that, no matter how wildly you twist the thing, the PS3 will effectively stop listening after a while and it won't have any effect in game.

Also, the thing is huge. The PS3 is physically massive, twice the size of the PS2 I reckon, as well as being ugly (it's really not that good looking). The online is nothing like XBOX Live, and the menu system is that sucky thing from the PSP.

So no, I'm not getting one until the price drops through the floor and it has some truly amazing games. I'm sticking with my 360 for the forseeable future.

I guess its big size is something to do with the fact the power supply is actually built into the unit, rather than with the X-box 360 which is separate.

As for the noise. Yeah, I'd prefer the 360 to be quieter, but if it really gets THAT warm, its bad on Sony's part, because I can't imagine what the graphics chip or Cell chip would do after a few hours of play at high temps. But seeing how big the PS3 is, they've probably been able to fit a couple of 120mm fans in, but I don't know what it has in that respect.

From what I've seen, graphics have been pretty poor.
In Virgin for example, they had a video of the Formula One playing from the PS3... Didn't impress me one bit, yet it was attracting crowds.

Plus, many shops haven't customized the TV's properly, because images seem stretched, or washed out.

dude_se said:
i heard about that. i think thats pretty good of sony to do that. i didnt know only 120 people showed up. thats kind of crap lol

It's ass kissing, that's what it is. Sure, the US didn't get any free TV or cab rides, but after getting shot and mugged, Sony never apologized. Not one apology. Even the mayor of Boston sent a bill over to Sony so that they could pay for the damages done to public property and what their mess of a launch did.

David Lindon said:
If the ps3 had analogue 5.1 outputs (for dolby trueHD) I'd get one just as a blu ray player! I'll probably end up getting one when gran turismo 5 comes out anyway

Yeah, I can't wait to see Gran Turismo 5. Hopefully Sony will wake up and actually implement force feedback, because currently the SIXAXIS doesn't support it. :mad: That's why I can't wait for Forza Motorsport 2. Holy shiet that game looks amazing. :D Not to mention the awesome Xbox 360 steering wheel.

Back
Top Bottom