I shall lay down the law upon thee!

Raveboy

Baseband Member
If you purchase a computer with Win Xp preinstalled what are you supposed to do if a computer goes down and you need to do a fresh clean install of the operating system but the computer did not come with the Win XP on disk?

Do I not have any rights to a Win XP disc for that computer?

If so what can I say to the shop staff?

The computer does have the product key on it to for authentication.

If it didn't come with XP on a disc, check to see if you have a recovery partition on your hard drive. Some PC manufacturers do that.

Tommy Boy said:
If it didn't come with XP on a disc, check to see if you have a recovery partition on your hard drive. Some PC manufacturers do that.

I have tried the 'destructive' system restore to no such luck - it gets stuck in a recovery reboot cycle. This is why I am under the impression that I need to do a fresh clean install - Currys. Digital have informed me that they have stopped dishing out the disks. I have purchased a license for this Win XP operating system but I can't reinstall it because the shop didn't give me a disk to do the fresh clean install!!!

Surely consumer law gives me the right to an OEM disk or something but what do you tell the company (packard Bell/CurrysDigital)?

This believe it or not is quite common, i fell for that one aswell a few years back i ended up buying xp home, but there is away round it, get some image software like norton ghost or acronis this will back up your OS with all your programs installed aswell, then us partition magic to put it on another drive or just burn it onto a disc. then if you do have problems that cant be solved then you just restore it from your image you made when you backed it up.
You will never need to buy xp again or install it. i have ghost 2003 and that in my opinion is the best program ever made, i have restored my xp os lots of times

blackjack said:
but there is away round it, get some image software like norton ghost or acronis this will back up your OS with all your programs installed aswell, then us partition magic to put it on another drive or just burn it onto a disc.

I would try that if the operating system actually booted up. At present it is stuck in some recovery cycle which never gets completed then tries to do another recovery cycle. Its stuck in some loop.

What are my rights to acquire the Win XP operating system on disc which Currys/PC World so I can do a fresh clean install of the operating system?

I have purchased the O/S already so therefore I have a license -surely that means I can get it on a disc?

Raveboy said:
I would try that if the operating system actually booted up. At present it is stuck in some recovery cycle which never gets completed then tries to do another recovery cycle. Its stuck in some loop.

What are my rights to acquire the Win XP operating system on disc which Currys/PC World so I can do a fresh clean install of the operating system?

I have purchased the O/S already so therefore I have a license -surely that means I can get it on a disc?
I am assuming it is quite a new computer, so do you have a guarantee with it, i would take it back to the shop, one thing you coud try is find someone who has that version of windows and run a clean install but put your key code in, i have seen this mention in a post recently and it is surpost to work although i have never tried it. if you wanted to try and save your files you could even try a repair with the xp disc instead of a clean install. (if you can get hold of a xp disc that is)

blackjack said:
I am assuming it is quite a new computer, so do you have a guarantee with it, i would take it back to the shop, one thing you coud try is find someone who has that version of windows and run a clean install but put your key code in, i have seen this mention in a post recently and it is surpost to work although i have never tried it. if you wanted to try and save your files you could even try a repair with the xp disc instead of a clean install. (if you can get hold of a xp disc that is)

and he needs to make sure that the disc matches the key code down to the SP version also, a friend of mine tried his Home Edition SP2 with a regular Home Edition disc and it didn't work, so basically, the keycode will work with the disc if the version is matched, the same friend borrowed my disc to reload Home Edition SP2 on his laptop and then just called Microsoft (okay, okay, I called, because he was nervous about what to say to them ;), because of upgrading, I'd been through that drill many times before) and activated it with a tech over the phone, the OEM version allows you to also have it running on a desktop as well, 1 desktop and 1 laptop, so his desktop activated automatically the next time he went on it (he needed it for that as well)...

wol-va-rine said:
and he needs to make sure that the disc matches the key code down to the SP version also, a friend of mine tried his Home Edition SP2 with a regular Home Edition disc and it didn't work, so basically, the keycode will work with the disc if the version is matched, the same friend borrowed my disc to reload Home Edition SP2 on his laptop and then just called Microsoft (okay, okay, I called, because he was nervous about what to say to them ;), because of upgrading, I'd been through that drill many times before) and activated it with a tech over the phone, the OEM version allows you to also have it running on a desktop as well, 1 desktop and 1 laptop, so his desktop activated automatically the next time he went on it (he needed it for that as well)...
Cheers for the extra info wol-va-rine, as i have never tried it i could not say it would or wouldnt work

Back
Top Bottom