sound problem

no luck there either.

I don't know how long it has been that way. I just noticed last week when someone sent me a Money gram from Careerbuilder and I didn't hear the sound.

Regardless I don't understand why the volume icon won't show, at least

Yeah, seems like a corrupt driver/program to me.

Since you've got onboard sound, even though you've installed the drivers, you may not have the program needed to make everything work?

Have you got a CD with all of it on?

I'm sure you've tried this already.

in the audio properties, unclick the "show sound icon in taskbar" ... click apply .... then reselect the "show sound icon in taskbar" ... and it should reappear.

That may work for you. Or try this.

To resolve this issue, extract a new copy of Sndvol32.exe from the Windows XP compact disc to the system_root\System32 folder on your computer's hard disk. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. Press and hold down the SHIFT key as you insert the CD-ROM to prevent it from starting automatically.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
4. Type the following lines at the command prompt, pressing ENTER after each line, where CD-ROM drive is the drive letter of the computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD-ROM, and system_root is the path and folder name where the Windows system files are located (generally C:\Windows):
CD-ROM drive:
cd i386
expand sndvol32.ex_ system_root\system32\sndvol32.exe

Note that there is a space between "ex_" and "system_root" in this command.

For example, if your computer's CD-ROM drive is drive E, and the folder that contains the Windows system files is C:\Windows, type the following lines at the command prompt (pressing ENTER after each line):
e:
cd i386
expand sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32\sndvol32.exe
5. Type exit to quit the command prompt.
6. Verify that you can start Volume Control and that the Volume icon is displayed in the notification area (if you selected this option).

thanks for the great instructions.
I did it all and the process executed fine.
But still no icon on the taskbar (although checked). Sound is ok in MediaPlayer but not on any internet related sounds.

thanks again

fsteyer said:
Thanks for the reply:

Intel P4 - SoundMAX integrated digital audio - standard Dell setup - and I just noticed when I got a Monk-e-gram email link from Careerbuilder

Those sonboard sound cards lag, I had t put a new sound card in becuase when I was loading a game or somthing and my cpu was at 100% it would stop working untill the cpu was lower :eek:

fsteyer said:
just wanted to mention again that the sound works fine in MediaPlayer.
thanks
so sound works in media player but nothing else? do you hear the windows startup sound? i've had a similar problem, and u did say the audio is onboard? or a sound card?

I'm picking this up again.

I still don't have sound on internet based sounds like videos on YouTube, etc. ( I've tried different browsers) and no Windows sounds (startup sound, etc).

Any help would be appreciated.

wow a year later and still problems. thats not good. urmmm i think people have suggested pretty much everything. maybe try reinstalling xp. could be your system files are fcuked for some reason, maybe due to a virus. im not sure. its worth a shot. doesnt take that long to reinstall

thanks ... if I reinstall will I lose all my data and settings, programs, everything???

Back
Top Bottom