Time to Buy A Laptop!! MAC OR PC? Both?? Help!

lhuser - is there something similar to that with a 17" screen?

Xiggy - thank you for narrowing that down! I did that with a similar HP laptop and the price was SIGNIFICANTLY lower! Would you recommend looking at HPs? I know some people dont like them, but we've had an HP desktop for a while now and it works perfectly!

Any thoughts?

Here is the HP Laptop, final cost $2009

Operating System 35% OFF! Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit)
edit

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo T7200 (2.0GHz/4MB L2Cache)
edit

Display 17.0" WXGA+ BrightView Widescreen (1440x900)
edit

Graphics Card 512MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7600
edit

Personalization HP Imprint Finish + Microphone + Webcam
edit

Memory 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
edit

Hard Drive 200GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (100GB x 2)
edit

Primary CD/DVD Drive Super Multi 8X DVD+/-R/RW w/Double Layer Support
edit

Networking Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
edit

TV & Entertainment Experience No TV Tuner w/remote control
edit

Primary Battery High Capacity 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
edit

One last question, for display options there are these 3:
17.0" WXGA+ BrightView Widescreen (1440x900)
Included in price

17.0" WSXGA+ BrightView Widescreen (1680x1050)
BrightView improves color contrast in your images and video.
+$50.00

17.0" WXGA+ Ultra BrightView Widescreen (1440x900)
Ultra BrightView offers an improved color gamut by 72%.
+$125.00

I have no idea which one to get... I know I'm fine with 1440x900 because i use that resolution now with my desktop comp. But I dont know if i need ultra brightview or whatever...

The same laptop for Dell is $2,369 and is heavier...

lol, Windows 100% , I have heard college kids tell me they got a MAC and some programs needed for the classes ONLY ran on Windows OS and Windows is almost always better.

Do you really need the upgrade for the screen? It looks like a good comp already.

Jackson.MacKenzie said:
Here is the HP Laptop, final cost $2009

Operating System 35% OFF! Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit)
edit

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo T7200 (2.0GHz/4MB L2Cache)
edit

Display 17.0" WXGA+ BrightView Widescreen (1440x900)
edit

Graphics Card 512MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7600
edit

Personalization HP Imprint Finish + Microphone + Webcam
edit

Memory 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
edit

Hard Drive 200GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (100GB x 2)
edit

Primary CD/DVD Drive Super Multi 8X DVD+/-R/RW w/Double Layer Support
edit

Networking Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
edit

TV & Entertainment Experience No TV Tuner w/remote control
edit

Primary Battery High Capacity 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
edit

One last question, for display options there are these 3:
17.0" WXGA+ BrightView Widescreen (1440x900)
Included in price

17.0" WSXGA+ BrightView Widescreen (1680x1050)
BrightView improves color contrast in your images and video.
+$50.00

17.0" WXGA+ Ultra BrightView Widescreen (1440x900)
Ultra BrightView offers an improved color gamut by 72%.
+$125.00

I have no idea which one to get... I know I'm fine with 1440x900 because i use that resolution now with my desktop comp. But I dont know if i need ultra brightview or whatever...

The same laptop for Dell is $2,369 and is heavier...
If I were to get a laptop, and high resolutions mattered to me enough to spend extra, I'd go with the top upgrade. But that looks like a good laptop with the included screen.

On the other hand, I have a Toshiba Satellite A100-VA3. It comes with Windows Vista Home Premium, which as Aero and most things you`d want like Windows Mobility Center for easy wireless, 1GB of RAM which is kind of standard right now, a 1.6GHz Intel Dual Core Processor and from my experiences, the battery lasts from 2 hours to 2 and a half, depending on how bright you put your screen. It`s good enough for me. The resolution only goes up to 1280x800 pixels, though and I think the screen is 15.4`.

If you aren`t worried about gaming, I wouldn`t spend all that extra money on more features. The Satellite A100 isn`t a basic, cheapest thing you can get laptop, but its not a high-end one either. Everything runs rather smoothly for me on Vista, so if I were going to college, I`d probably get something like this.

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&section=1&group=1&product=5611&part=6096#spectop

Those are my recommendations. :)

Ok thank you all for the advice :) i think i will be going with HP, and not get any of the super fancy upgrades. so now my next experiment is tri-booting!

Ubuntu Linux
Vista
Mac OS X

I've already been experimenting on our HP with similar specs and have successfully installed OS X. Now I just need to figure out how to get all three of them to live together happily without destroying one another...

Jackson.MacKenzie said:
so now my next experiment is tri-booting!

Ubuntu Linux
Vista
Mac OS X

Whats the point of 'tri-booting?'

If you have Vista why bother with Linux?

Jackson.MacKenzie said:
Ok thank you all for the advice :) i think i will be going with HP, and not get any of the super fancy upgrades. so now my next experiment is tri-booting!

Ubuntu Linux
Vista
Mac OS X

I've already been experimenting on our HP with similar specs and have successfully installed OS X. Now I just need to figure out how to get all three of them to live together happily without destroying one another...
yea well umm tell me the chipset that the laptop has cuz osx is only compatible with some chipsets

I'm pretty sure its compatible with the whole laptop - my friend has the same model, with a few different customizations and I put it on hers

Raveboy - I prefer Linux over Windows (XP and Vista) for a lot of things. It has its advantages and I think its always good to have on a computer.

Jackson.MacKenzie said:
I'm pretty sure its compatible with the whole laptop - my friend has the same model, with a few different customizations and I put it on hers

Raveboy - I prefer Linux over Windows (XP and Vista) for a lot of things. It has its advantages and I think its always good to have on a computer.
did the wifi and graphics and everything work on her laptop with osx?

Back
Top Bottom