Folder where printer drivers are kept

thebigdintx

Daemon Poster
I'm having some problems getting my Dell all-in-one printer 922 to work with the new Vista compatable driver's from Dell. In one of the posts on the dell forum, a poster said that

"printer drivers are generally kept in C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers. In here is a sub folder called w32x86. All your 32 bit printer drivers should be in this folder. Delete every file you find but keep the empty w32x86 folder."

There seems like there is a whole lot of stuff in that w32x86 folder....does anyone know if this statement is correct, and everything in there is safe to delete before trying to reinstall the printer driver?

C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86

I can confirm that's where the print drivers are kept (above), at least for my PC. I went to this Dell website and it says that your drivers aren't available. Either their website needs updating or they don't have it. Then again, you have the printer so there should be a CD that came with it.

Availability Dates for Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Printer Drivers
http://support.dell.com/support/top...26CA103B5061F32BE040A68F5B280C05&l=en&s=gen#1

Try installing the CD drivers first. It will prompt you to hook the USB cable up for detection and finish the installation. In the meantime, you can delete all your printer in your printers folder (control panel).

thanks..yeah, for some reason, the new vista compatable driver for this printer is available on the driver download page since 3-15-07, but they havent updated that main announcement page showing it's available for this model printer yet. i do have a disk, but it's the old driver's which are incompatable with vista, so i can't use it.

i was just basically trying to confirm that it was safe to delete everything inside the "C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86" folder.

Back
Top Bottom