bad power supply!!

jalo215

Solid State Member
I was using my computer when suddenly I heard a pop and smelled smoke.I know its my power supply that burned but my question is, will this damaged anything else on my computer?

hi i had 1 that did the same it didn't damage anything else when i put new power supply in it started fine

I just recently put in a new power supply in and the computer turns on ,but I don't hear any beeps and it does not boot up.

Or perhaps your power supply decided to take your motherboard with it. It's been known to happen. I've had a power supply go bad without damaging anything else though.

But yeah, check all the connections.

I checked all connections and everything is all set ,computer turns on but no beeps !!

i guess this is why i emphasize to get a good power supply...anyways. Yes, you saw the magic smoke come out of your power supply and you're going to have to get a new one. Then use the new one to test all the other equipment. You can short the ATX connector to test hard drives and optical drives. To test the motherboard, you will have to see if it posts. Same with video card to see if it displays.
http://www.pcpower.com/support/ATX_troubleshoot.htm Just use a regular paper clip and you will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom