My Thoughts on Vista

Funny thing is, the laptop, Core 2 Duo, 2GBs of Ram, Go7800, and it's a 'compatibility' issue. I laugh at you Microsoft...I laugh at you...

I do have Vista Ntream that takes as low as 256MB, without all that additional stuff. Harder, but smoother. I didn't bother...but I'm planning, once my room gets an "upgrade", to try it on a Dell PII, before I upgrade it to a Celeron 1.0

Raffaz said:
Its in the list above mate:)
It "works" but my buddy and I had pretty much identical code, one line of code worked on my machine and the same line did not work for him for some reason. Moved the program over to my PC and it worked no problem. :confused:

I think it's good on the whole, but UAC pisses me off, as well as having to run Command Prompt in Administrator mode to do simple things like renew my IP.
It ran really well until I installed AVG Free which absolutely slowed it down to nothing, which it didn't do on XP incidentally. I've never used any AntiVirus other than Windows Defender, and Windows Firewall, and everything's ship-shape. I also find it looks nicer than Mac OSX, which is just a brushed metal hell with annoying effects that don't help your productivity one jot.

Oh yeah, one other thing. Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Pro throws up a big "This program has compatibility issues..." etc when I start it. One of MS's own flagship products, nothing else I've tried produced the same thing.

Did it not bother you that you have to keep using the adminstater setting to install prorams, it wound me up that i couldnt install norton internet security 2005 or nod 32 av, i couldnt get win rar going either, then i tried the burning dvd option, talk about drawn out, i thought vista was going to be easier not harder, i tried the film encoding option in windows media that failed miserabley., so in my opinion it sucks, i have xp on with the vista inspirat upgrade on and that works fine, il keep it that way aswell.
oh sorry i forgot to mention i tried vista ultimate :(

Jenox said:
Funny thing is, the laptop, Core 2 Duo, 2GBs of Ram, Go7800, and it's a 'compatibility' issue. I laugh at you Microsoft...I laugh at you...
Everything works fine on my Toshiba with a dual-core processor with 1GB of RAM.

UK31337 said:
I think it's good on the whole, but UAC pisses me off, as well as having to run Command Prompt in Administrator mode to do simple things like renew my IP.
It ran really well until I installed AVG Free which absolutely slowed it down to nothing, which it didn't do on XP incidentally. I've never used any AntiVirus other than Windows Defender, and Windows Firewall, and everything's ship-shape. I also find it looks nicer than Mac OSX, which is just a brushed metal hell with annoying effects that don't help your productivity one jot.

Oh yeah, one other thing. Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Pro throws up a big "This program has compatibility issues..." etc when I start it. One of MS's own flagship products, nothing else I've tried produced the same thing.
You can always disable User Account Control (I have it enabled, though). AVG Free didn't really slow it down for me. I like Vista over OS X too.

blackjack said:
Did it not bother you that you have to keep using the adminstater setting to install prorams, it wound me up that i couldnt install norton internet security 2005 or nod 32 av, i couldnt get win rar going either, then i tried the burning dvd option, talk about drawn out, i thought vista was going to be easier not harder, i tried the film encoding option in windows media that failed miserabley., so in my opinion it sucks, i have xp on with the vista inspirat upgrade on and that works fine, il keep it that way aswell.
oh sorry i forgot to mention i tried vista ultimate
I never experienced anything like that. Windows allows me to install whatever I want on my account.

vista is working fine on my pc at home, and tahts got 512 ram.. there have been no problems with it, i even played command and conquer generals on it the other day no problems whatsoever

the people who say that it is a memory hog, and you cant run it on anything other than 2GB ram are total liars, im running it fine on 512.. and have been for a month or so..

mark thorpe said:
vista is working fine on my pc at home, and tahts got 512 ram.. there have been no problems with it, i even played command and conquer generals on it the other day no problems whatsoever

the people who say that it is a memory hog, and you cant run it on anything other than 2GB ram are total liars, im running it fine on 512.. and have been for a month or so..
Yeah, I run it smoothly with 1GB too.

From my experience, it's been pretty positive with the migration over to Vista. I had some compatibility errors, but you can work around it by finding patches from manufacturer's website or just doing a search online for hot fixes and patch. SP1 is coming out soon so that should clear things up a bunch. A lot of companies aren't making the jump to Vista until SP1 is out anyways.

I've been monitoring the performance on my PC using the "Resource Monitor" built into Vista Business. My CPU is the bottleneck on my system. At times, it peaks like a mother. Actually, my index score for Vista is from my CPU rating, lol which is a 4.2. (Vista takes the lowest rating from the hardware test and use that index number for overall performance rating). 1GB is just fine to run normal applications and do regular things and all the aero goodies Vista throws at you. Boy, when you start playing games or running intense apps--like with any OS, more RAM is better.

Back
Top Bottom