Cutting rivets

BGates14

In Runtime
How would you cut rivets in the computer case to take out the cd cage or something like that from inside the computer? I need to take out my cd cage and use it for something I"m making and I have no clue how to cut the rivets or take the cage out, the only thing holding it on are the rivets.

umm, maybe if you have a pair of tin snips you can cut it off the case. If that doesn't work, or isn't concivable, is there a way you could pry it off? The only thing with prying is you might bend the cage (depending on the material)

Yeah it would most likely bend, I thought of drilling holes through where the rivets are, and I did one but it didn't seem like it was moving, so I came on here to see if anyone knew a good way or how to without me screwing it up with my own ideas.

ya thats the only way I know how to get them out is to get a drill bit thats just slightly smaller than the hole the rivet is in and drill it right down the center...

It wasn't moving because the bit was smaller than the hole, so there was still the outter part attached, it ended up working after i cut off a few minor peices that weren't on the cd cage.

Hascet has the right answer.

use a drill on the top of the rivet to drill until the head comes off, then use a thin rod and a hammer to push the bottom part of the rivet (the bit that mushrooms) out from the top.

et voila the rivet is gone.

Back
Top Bottom